Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I wait for VB 5 or upgrade to 4.2 first ? (from 3.8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I wait for VB 5 or upgrade to 4.2 first ? (from 3.8)

I am using Vbulletin 3.8 now and have a valid licence for VB 4 suite and will probably go for a VB5 licence too.
    Until now I did not upgrade yet, but I like to do so in the near future.

As I have to adapt my theme to 4.2 and also need to translate/adapt phrases, I like to know if I need to upgrade to 4.x or could I also upgrade directly from 3.8 to 5 ?
    If I need a lot of adaptation from 4.x to 5.x, probably it is better to wait a while and upgrade directly from 3.8 to 5.x if this is possible.

Any idea's on this ?

You should be able to upgrade directly to 5.0 from 3.8 if you choose. The upgrader supports upgrading from 3.6.0 just like in the 4.X series.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

If you have a license for 4.x then I'd update to the latest version right now, you can always upgrade to vb 5 later whenever it's released.
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo3 View Post
        ...probably it is better to wait a while and upgrade directly from 3.8 to 5.x if this is possible.

Any idea's on this ?
        It's a lot of work to upgrade from vB3 to vB4. I think it would be best to wait a bit longer and see how vB5 looks and if you like it upgrade directly from vB3 to vB5.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          You should be able to upgrade directly to 5.0 from 3.8 if you choose. The upgrader supports upgrading from 3.6.0 just like in the 4.X series.
          But will there be many changes in templates/texts and other things when you upgrade from 4.2 to 5 ?

When I upgrade from 3.8 to 4.2, it will cost me quite some time to get the templates ready, if the upgrade from 4.2 to 5 will be again a lot of work, maybe it is easier for me to upgrade one time from 3.8 to 5 as I have to do and test the changes only one time.

Comment

But will there be many changes in templates/texts and other things when you upgrade from 4.2 to 5 ?

When I upgrade from 3.8 to 4.2, it will cost me quite some time to get the templates ready, if the upgrade from 4.2 to 5 will be again a lot of work, maybe it is easier for me to upgrade one time from 3.8 to 5 as I have to do and test the changes only one time.
            Staff have confirmed that vB5 is a major rewrite. None of the 4.2 templates or plugins will work in 5.0.
            This is normal for major upgrades.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Yes.. Your 4.X styles and addons will not work in 5.X. Just like 2.X styles and didn't work in 3.X and so forth.

However 5.X has some structures that help eliminate many template changes altogether. Plus Addon developers are already working on new varieties of their addons.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment