Should I wait for vBulletin 5 relase to buy vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    vBSEO is useful for some sites, it seems. I certainly don't believe it is 'necessary'.

I think they convince people of the need to solve a problem that does not exist. Just my opinion. Some sites swear by it though.
    Thanks for your answer ... I never bought it and never use it ... but I heard in other forums that it was a great feature....

Comment

I am thinking of starting a new forum after having worked with vB4 for the last 2 years. I still really like the forum and all available addons, just hope the CMS system will be a bit better in vb5.

But my question is.. If you buy a vB5 license when it comes out, can you install vB4 with that license and upgrade to vB5 at a later time? Or shouldn't you even bother with vB4 and just start with vB5, even though it may be not be stable and bug-free in the beginning.

Any more info on the expected release date of vB5?
      SaabWorld

Comment

Originally posted by fwulfers View Post
        If you buy a vB5 license when it comes out, can you install vB4 with that license and upgrade to vB5 at a later time?
        It's not been 100% confirmed (only because vB5 licensing info isn't available yet) but I think it's generally accepted that yes you will be able to do that, it has always worked that way.

Or shouldn't you even bother with vB4 and just start with vB5, even though it may be not be stable and bug-free in the beginning.
        That's a decision only you can make. At the moment, since there is no vB5 product available to view (it isn't finished yet) and there is no vB5 license available to buy, vB4 is your best bet. It is solid and stable.

Any more info on the expected release date of vB5?
        Nope.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
          That's a decision only you can make. At the moment, since there is no vB5 product available to view (it isn't finished yet) and there is no vB5 license available to buy, vB4 is your best bet. It is solid and stable.
          Do be aware though that a vb4 licence only entitles you to vb4 - vb5 will require a new vb5 licence to be bought.

Frankly, if you're starting a new forum and not expecting a ton of activity in the short-term, may as well use SMF in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Syxguns View Post
            Everyone here has made great statements, I just want to add another hard fact to the question at hand. vB4.2 has a lot of wonderful modifications for it as well as vB3.8. I heard from one of the mod developers that vB 5 has a completely different "Hooks" system and is going to leave all of the mod creators updating their mods and testing them for some time. Also as was stated in this thread, there are many people that still use old version of vB. They found a stable release, were happy with it, and never bothered to upgrade the board. There are still a ton of communities running vB3 out there.

I will purchase the updated version to vB5 so that I have it at a discount when it is available, but I do not plan to change to vB5 for at least a year.
            Ditto this.
            I think plug ins will be the motivating factor to me. Once the ones I use are updated I will make the move.

4.2 owner

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
              Wow Mark! You've sure changed your tune, you creeping for a staff job or something, or been brain washed? You never used to shut up putting vBulletin down on hundreds of other sites for many years.
              LOL, you know I have been pretty upset over a few things too, but 4.2 is indeed very nice, still upset about the way I was charged in the beginning because no one would give a straight answer and some of my expectations for 4.x.x are still short. but overall when the changes were made to fix the mobile style I was appeased enough to stop complaining . I am sure that both Mark and I will holler real loud if our toes are stepped on or things are not up to par.

I am waiting on 5.0 for a new forum but I would go ahead and buy 4.2 and expect to pay a 150 dollar upgrade.
              Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by I, Brian View Post

Frankly, if you're starting a new forum and not expecting a ton of activity in the short-term, may as well use SMF in my opinion.
                I find forum software quality to be everything, hence why I went with vB from the get go! I can understand the thinking behind what you wrote, but if you don't put anything in then how can you expect to get anything out in return?

Comment

There are just too many unknowns with vB5 about release date, new features, stability of the new version and time frame for a stable release, availability and development of new and existing add-ons by developers, products that are going to be included and improved (gallery, social groups, CMS). I decided not to wait and go with Invision for a new site (and another one in the future).

From my experience with vB4, I am expecting it will be safe to use vB5 (new or upgrade) end of 2013 or 2014 if it gets released in 2012. And I don't want to wait that long. vB4.2 is great as forum software but it seems behind the times when it comes to fully integrated site software. And I want more than a forum in a site for car enthusiasts.
                  SaabWorld

Comment

I just bought a licence and I received an email promoting the release of vbulletin 5. It sounds like the release will be soon ...

Comment