Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I wait for vBulletin 5 relase to buy vBulletin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I wait for vBulletin 5 relase to buy vBulletin

    Hello everyone,

    Should I wait for vBulletin 5 release to buy the software or it does not matter?


    Greetings,
    Eddie

  • #2
    I suggest purchasing vB4 now. You will be able to upgrade to vB5 when it comes out. It might be some time before vB5 is a usable product.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would also say go with vB4. It's a solid stable product.

      There will be an upgrade path to vB5 when it comes out but it's release is not 'imminent' and vB4.2 will still be fully supported even when it does.

      I will say now, there is still no better platform to build a successful community on, than vB4.2.

      Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

      TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

      Comment


      • #4
        Should I wait for vBulletin 5 relase to buy vBulletin

        Depends on your current situation and needs.

        Comment


        • #5
          Like GHST said before me, it depends on your situation, fianancially mostly. vBulletin 5 probably isn't anywhere near completion and you could be waiting months on end before it's release date is even announced. If you need a vBulletin forum as soon as possible, you might as well invest in vBulletin now.
          Aakif Nazir
          vBulletin Support Team

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi,

            I have the same question as zero477 (if I may ask) and I understand the replies stating vBulletin 5 might be some way off.

            However, if I was to purchase the full suite now and then 5.0 was released, say, 3-4 months down the track will I need to fork-out several hundred dollars to upgrade or is there a period of time to allow free upgrades (to a new platform) for relatively new licence purchases?

            If there isn't any free upgrade period (eg 6 months or less from purchase) than I'll hold off until vBulletin 5 is released and get it then - I'm looking forward to trying it out.

            Comment


            • #7
              I doubt it will be several hundred dollars to upgrade, but I also doubt there will be any free upgrade-period. If I'm honest, I'd say that it'll be a nominal fee to upgrade.



              Dustin
              http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
              http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

              Comment


              • #8
                I would be surprised if vB5 is less than a $100 upgrade from vB4. Probably closer to $150.

                Comment


                • #9
                  vbulletin 5 is said to be released somewhere this year. Its unclear when exactly or if it will be usable at release. Its also unclear what the price or the license structure will be.
                  So its a big gamble.
                  The upgrade fee from vb3 to vb4 suite was 135 in the presale. I doubt that it will be lower for vb5.
                  I buy 420 forums

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There is no official announcement on what it may cost to upgrade. Impossible to predict right now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just get it now.

                      As stated above 4.2 is a good product. Whatever it costs for the upgrade, it will be worth spending that time learning and building your community now.
                      Hmmm. Cheese.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        With 4.2 you will be purchasing a solid dependable product that can be configured in a multitude of ways. The code base is well known and reliable. There's no reason to hold off for vB5 at this time, vB5 will come in due course and there will be upgrade options available should you decide you want to do that.

                        Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                          With 4.2 you will be purchasing a solid dependable product that can be configured in a multitude of ways. The code base is well known and reliable. There's no reason to hold off for vB5 at this time, vB5 will come in due course and there will be upgrade options available should you decide you want to do that.

                          Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                          Wow Mark! You've sure changed your tune, you creeping for a staff job or something, or been brain washed? You never used to shut up putting vBulletin down on hundreds of other sites for many years.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think you guys have convinced me to go 4.2 and upgrade later when 5 comes out - I see the commonsense in not wasting time growing my community and if the upgrade isn't imminent or shouldn't likely cost the best part of a new licence, I should probably act now.

                            All your input is appreciated, thanks. Time for me to get my arse into gear and build a community

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
                              There is no official announcement on what it may cost to upgrade. Impossible to predict right now.
                              6 months before the vB4 presale, pricing info and license terms were leaked. Then we were told "All of that info was preliminary and under revision". The presale hit, and everything we saw in the leak was implemented verbatim.

                              So while I have no way to prove it, I'm fairly certain that in a hidden subforum, the price and terms of vB5 have been laid out in draft form.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • TheVisitors
                                vBulletin 5 - Will you purchase it ?
                                by TheVisitors
                                We all know (or should know by now), that a large amount of resources and development is going toward vBulletin 5. We also know that Internet Brands is working on improving vBulletin 4.

                                ...
                                YES
                                13.00%
                                26
                                NO
                                47.00%
                                94
                                Yes if it is a complete re-write
                                12.50%
                                25
                                Yes if it isn't a re-write, but an improved upgrade
                                1.50%
                                3
                                Yes if I continue to see improvement in vBulletin 4
                                8.00%
                                16
                                Yes, if others say it is good - I'll not be one of the 1st to get it
                                4.00%
                                8
                                I am unsure and undecided at this time
                                14.00%
                                28
                                Sat 24th Dec '11, 9:16pm
                              • Nell2011
                                my first impressions
                                by Nell2011
                                well..
                                i think there is much more work to do before gold. Please do something with [email protected] of vb5.

                                because from google webmaster forum, when i tested beta for seo they asked me "...
                                Mon 7th Jan '13, 11:40am
                              • Dennis Olson
                                About release 5.0.6?
                                by Dennis Olson
                                I have two questions actually. I'll preface them with the fact that I understand the vB5x was intended to be released with functionality in "waves" (if you will). That is, the initial release...
                                Fri 17th Jan '14, 6:08am
                              Working...
                              X