• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sadiq6210
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

Why do you want to upgrade?

Because VB3/VB4 is already end of life
    We need new features, we need updated editor, we need to fix more bugs, we need new versions and some development in VB4 project
    We are seeing other scripts with new releases and new nice features so we hope to get the same in our script which is not possible because we are using a version with no real development from 2.5 years when 4.2 released. on the other hand you/we don't prefer to update to VB5

We are stuck in the middle of bottleneck !
    Last edited by sadiq6210; Mon 15th Dec '14, 12:04am.

Leave a comment:

• yilmaz
    replied
    If you have your thread rewrite rules set as forum-name/threadid-threadname.html use the following .htaccess
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule [^/]+/([0-9]+)-[^/]+\.html http://www.domain.com/showthread.php?t=$1 [L,R=301]
    If you have your thread rewrite rules set as forum-name/threadname-threadid.html use the following .htaccess
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule [^/]+/[^/]+-([0-9]+)\.html http://www.domain.com/showthread.php?t=$1 [L,R=301]
    If you have your thread rewrite rules set as forum-name/threadname-threadid/ use the following .htaccess
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule [^/]+/[^/]+-([0-9]+)/ http://www.domain.com/showthread.php?t=$
    Last edited by yilmaz; Sun 14th Dec '14, 10:31pm.

Leave a comment:

• motd2
    commented on 's reply
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/.../509394-/page2

• rmwebs
    replied
    Originally posted by donald1234 View Post
    Actually it was this part I was referring to.
    It'd be extremely foolish (not to mention a complete lie) to say otherwise really. The aftermath of the handful of sites that have moved to vB5 is enough evidence if nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• donald1234
    replied
    Actually it was this part I was referring to.

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    and vB5 will not perform as well as vB3.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Most of what Paul posted is standard advice and has been for many years.

Why do you want to upgrade?

For many people, the answer is actually, "because I want the newest, shiniest version". But that's a terrible reason to upgrade.

In the past month, via support tickets, I have:

Advised a customer to upgrade to 3.8.8
    Advised a customer to upgrade to 4.2.2
    Advised a customer to upgrade to 5.1.2

I've also assisted them in doing so.
    The end result has been satisfactory and the customers are very happy with the end result.

That's because (a) the upgrades were done for the right reasons and (b) the upgrades were properly planned and executed.

Leave a comment:

• is_it_me
    replied
    Ditto ^^^

Leave a comment:

• donald1234
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    For what reason do you want to upgrade ?
    Unless you have a very compelling reason, I would suggest you stay as you are.

The upgrade would be very slow for such a large database,[bold] and vB5 will not perform as well as vB3.[/bold]
    I dont know what other customisations you have, but be aware you will lose them all, and any custom style as well
    Wow, I admire your honesty.

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    Originally posted by petforums View Post
    Also I'm abit wary of how long it would take or how difficult it would be to upgrade straight from version 3.8.8 to the latest vb5. Would the upgrade be very slow?
    For what reason do you want to upgrade ?
    Unless you have a very compelling reason, I would suggest you stay as you are.

The upgrade would be very slow for such a large database, and vB5 will not perform as well as vB3.
    I dont know what other customisations you have, but be aware you will lose them all, and any custom style as well

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Off topic posts removed. People should take their personal agendas elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• rudedog1968
    replied
    Quote from their owner
    We have our own coders who have been initiating "fixes" to the broken and poorly written vB code. vB has even reached out to us to find out how our site works so well.

Leave a comment:

• is_it_me
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

This site is easily 3 times as large as the one stated in the opening post: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/

Perhaps not the best example, considering the problems they are having since 'upgrading' to vB5, resulting in loads of complaints from users and a big drop in traffic.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Eruss View Post
    Can vb5 handle such a big forum?

This site is easily 3 times as large as the one stated in the opening post: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied

Thanks for your information. Maybe you should talk with the owners and developers of vbulletin. If you added the option on VB5 to keep the same url structures as where available in vbseo, i'm sure you would get hundreds of existing vbulletin3 and 4 owners with vbseo, purchasing and upgrading to vbulletin5.

Thanks
    As Mark has mentioned it has been considered but not likely to come in the form of an official VB option. However there is always the possibility Dragon Byte or some other developer will release an add-on for VB5 to keep earlier VBSEO URL Structure at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied

Thanks for your information. Maybe you should talk with the owners and developers of vbulletin. If you added the option on VB5 to keep the same url structures as where available in vbseo, i'm sure you would get hundreds of existing vbulletin3 and 4 owners with vbseo, purchasing and upgrading to vbulletin5.

Thanks
    This has been considered many times. It isn't going to happen I'm afraid. We cannot develop the product around third party code that we didn't write, particularly not where the company that did write the code no longer exists.

In the grand scheme of customers using vBulletin, only a TINY fraction use SEO add on scripts.

Leave a comment: