Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalability

Hello,

I was wondering how scalable the vBulletin board is. Instead of a couple "main" fora/subfora, lets say you want every user on your website to have their own board section.
    How feasible is this in terms of:

1) Forum software - Does vBulletin allow for lets say thousands of mini fora?

2) Storage - Would each small section (even if unused) require a lot of storage or cause a traffic strain on the server?

3) Moderator settings - Is it possible to easily automate creation of fora and moderator rights (ie: each users automatically create and also become a moderator of their own forum section) or does this have to be requested and arranged personally by the main admin?

4) Costs - Would the cost for the software increase when doing so?

5) And excuse the question but is vBulletin the best forum for what I'm asking, or is another option perhaps better suited for the above examples?

Thank you.

Originally posted by Soltaro View Post
    1) Forum software - Does vBulletin allow for lets say thousands of mini fora?

2) Storage - Would each small section (even if unused) require a lot of storage or cause a traffic strain on the server?

4) Costs - Would the cost for the software increase when doing so?

5) And excuse the question but is vBulletin the best forum for what I'm asking, or is another option perhaps better suited for the above examples?
    #1 It would let you do it.
    #2 Horrible strain on the server.

#4 No.
    #5 On a Windows forum would they recommend you to use Linux?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Yeah I have no doubt vBulletin is the best overall forum software but perhaps not for the specific thing I'm wondering about. Since I don't know, it doesn't hurt to ask.

As for the strain on the server, could you explain that a little more in detail? What causes it? (even when a board is not being used for example) and is there a way around it?

Comment

and is there a way around it?
        Forum softwares are not designed to do it.
        You have to find another way.

Comment

Having thousands of individual forums will certainly put a strain on the server, it's not recommended.
          Hundreds, yes. Thousands, no.
          As has been mentioned forum software isn't really designed for having thousands of channels.

Point 3 cannot be automated, forums can only be created by admins. However, you may be able to utilise the "Groups" facility in a similar fashion, users can create their own groups if permissions are given to do so.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

You are also walking a fine line with the license agreement. It's one thing to have forums and moderators- it is another to allow anyone to create their own mini-forum with administrator like permissions confined to that forum- it starts to look like you are renting out the software which is against the agreement. That path has been tried before- it is not going to work on a paid forum platform.

Comment

I understand it's different than the norm but it's not about renting out or anything. Mostly just curious of the limitations. I'm trying to think of some examples, for example Steam has a community hub page for each game they sell and it also has a small forum section.
              I'd assume those are also easily in the thousands. Any idea how they do it?

Comment

Steam is using vBulletin 3.x, you can get away with a greater absolute number of forums on VB 3.x than you will on 5.x. My guess is they needed to do some customizations to the database, perhaps increasing the size of some fields/columns. Thousands of forums are possible on VB 3.x with enough memory and server power to handle it... You will eventually hit a memory limit, whether it's at 10,000, 20,000 or 50,000 we're really not sure.

Comment

3 4 and 5 all have the same issues with number of forums. VBulletin 2 didn't have an issue with total forum count, but had a lot of issues having forums that could handle hundreds of thousands of posts. Since that was more normal we optimized the software to be able to hand smaller numbers of forums (sub 2000~) and way more topics/posts per forum.

Comment

So if that 2000 is a hypothetical max, would you be able to circumvent it by running two vBulletin packages on the same server?

Also, is it a linear regression on server strain or quite sudden only when you approach the max?
                    And what symptoms would you start noticing specifically?

Comment

You couldn't run two packages together, they don't link up in that way.

It's pretty much a linear regression, there's no actual physical maximum.

Symptoms would vary server to server, site to site, but typically you;d find some pages taking excessive times to load.

vBulletin is scaled to "typical usage", what you're looking to do would not fall under that.
                      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks for the explanation guys.

I understand why they shifted more towards "typical usage". So for vBulletin version 3 would be the best bet, but is there no alternative that is perhaps better suited?

Comment

I understand why they shifted more towards "typical usage". So for vBulletin version 3 would be the best bet, but is there no alternative that is perhaps better suited?
                          Back to the stone age:
                          Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                          VBulletin 2 didn't have an issue with total forum count,

Comment

Yeah I have no doubt vBulletin is the best overall forum software
                            Without wishing to start anything. Might I recommend that as with any software, you collect opinions from a non-bias source.

For example if you were to go into Walmart, they, and a majority of their customers will tell you they are better than another Supermarket.

I'd recommend reading some info on each forum platform before making a decision. A site such as theadminzone.com or admin-talk.com

Also look at what your competitors use. Find extremely large forums running the software you're about to pick, and take a look at things like speed, load times, etc. I'd really, really advise against just jumping on the "oh this looks good, I'll use it" bandwagon before you've done your research - you'll strongly regret it if you end up picking the wrong option

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                              Steam is using vBulletin 3.x
                              The OP was referring to the steam community, not the steam forums.

The steam community uses a custom system to allow forums/discussion areas for each product in the steam store.

The older (and apparently awaiting to be discontinued) steam forums, which are not tied into the store uses vB3 (all be it extremely heavily customised beyond recognition under the hood).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X