Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Member Personal Information

Hi there,

I had a question about the personal information entered by users at the time of forum account registration (e-mail address, DOB, etc.).

Is this all submitted to me as the forum administrator? Will I have to worry about privacy policies and securing that information?
    Is it sent to vBulletin Solutions? If so, is it encrypted and securely stored?

Apologies in advance if this is covered somewhere on the site, I wasn't able to locate this information after a cursory search.

Hello,

No such information is submitted to vBulletin Solutions (unless of course you are registering on our forums.) The information is kept in your own database and yes you should have some privacy policy in place. In practice many smaller customers do not worry about an official Privacy Policy or Terms of Service but if the forum gets to be at all popular it is something you should take some time to invest it.

It is also your responsibility to keep the database as secure as possible- this includes using unique, complex password for all Admins and Mods, as well as FTP, Database, and other systems you may have access to.

Only the passwords are stored in an encrypted form. Email address is plain text. Date of birth is optional, you do not have to request this info if you don't want it during registration.

Comment

Hello Joe,

Understood, thank you for the information.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X