X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no comparison with vb

Comment

Originally posted by TheVisitors View Post
      Much of what you are looking for is already incorporated in vBulletin, with future plans to incorporate the remaining. In the mean time, there is already free add-ons that can complete the rest for the time being.

On a side note.... There is also a free (open source) skin to make vBulletin look like IPB 3.1 and another skin in development to make vBulletin look like IPB 3.2 / 3.3 (also free and open source)
      Oh my... why would anyone want to make their vBulletin site look like a default IPB site? Their style is one of the worst things going for them...

Comment

This is actually a relevant thread for me at the moment, since I am thinking of upgrading my forum and have discovered IPB to be a very strong candidate. Their latest release 2 have really made it difficult to ignore them.

I have been running vB 3.8 for the past 3 years now, but I've had experience with it for the past 5. Over this time, I have not only become familiar with the product, but also the behaviour of the company in terms of its upgrades, and what it considers a new release, not to mention its pricing structure.

Most people I have asked say that vB4 was not really what people were expected and they weren't happy with the product, particularly for its price. Since the sale of vB4, the Suite, and now the mobile app, vB have made themselves appear a cash cow charging around $500 if you wanted it all. In comparison with IPB, you get the forum which is not only less than vB's equivalent, but also the option to add several addons to make your installation a suite. There's also the free mobile skin for your users built-in.

vB 3.8 or even vB4 in comparison to IPB is like a product that came from someone's garage - there's nothing nice about it. There are no attractive aesthetics in vB, the design is not far off the previous versions and its probably one of the things that made vB4 into a failure that people seem think it is. IPB on the other hand, is very sleek, attractive and looks like a very capable software. I have spent the last 2 years (not to mention the money spent) in trying to make my 3.8 design something worth looking at, but whatever I do, the functionality doesn't seem to match the aesthetics.

In all in all, I'm sorry to say that I will probably going for IPB next. I just can't find anything in the product to justify a renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by J1mmy View Post
          This is actually a relevant thread for me at the moment, since I am thinking of upgrading my forum and have discovered IPB to be a very strong candidate. Their latest release 2 have really made it difficult to ignore them.

I have been running vB 3.8 for the past 3 years now, but I've had experience with it for the past 5. Over this time, I have not only become familiar with the product, but also the behaviour of the company in terms of its upgrades, and what it considers a new release, not to mention its pricing structure.

Most people I have asked say that vB4 was not really what people were expected and they weren't happy with the product, particularly for its price. Since the sale of vB4, the Suite, and now the mobile app, vB have made themselves appear a cash cow charging around $500 if you wanted it all. In comparison with IPB, you get the forum which is not only less than vB's equivalent, but also the option to add several addons to make your installation a suite. There's also the free mobile skin for your users built-in.

vB 3.8 or even vB4 in comparison to IPB is like a product that came from someone's garage - there's nothing nice about it. There are no attractive aesthetics in vB, the design is not far off the previous versions and its probably one of the things that made vB4 into a failure that people seem think it is. IPB on the other hand, is very sleek, attractive and looks like a very capable software. I have spent the last 2 years (not to mention the money spent) in trying to make my 3.8 design something worth looking at, but whatever I do, the functionality doesn't seem to match the aesthetics.

In all in all, I'm sorry to say that I will probably going for IPB next. I just can't find anything in the product to justify a renewal.

Best of luck with that then, the "last 2 " versions have frankly been garbage , I have membership of several forums running the latest IPB and they are truly awful. I know 2 admins that are going to move away as they are fed up with the issues and one very large board that left vB a while ago for IPB is now looking to rebuild yet again on a new platform as the owner is so fed up with all the problems.

Comment

Could you explain what the problems actually are?

Comment

Their feedback forums are open for all to see. IP.Gallery obviously has a lot of issues, but I'm not seeing much criticism for IP.B (except for SEO)
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

IPB Is a very nice piece of forum software, we've used it and we've had not too many problems, however we are merging with another company that uses VB4 heavily. So we are going to be switching to VB4. I feel it is going to be for the best though, as I hear VBSEO is fantastic. We should be fully transitioned in 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
                  Their feedback forums are open for all to see. IP.Gallery obviously has a lot of issues, but I'm not seeing much criticism for IP.B (except for SEO)
                  Open to all to see, provided it's positive or at the very least, can be open to interpretation. Anything in a solid negative stance with facts (not just rant, but facts) is often relocated out of public view (typically into the customer forums) or deleted altogether.

Speaking from my own personal opinion and personal experience of course.

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
                  Oh my... why would anyone want to make their vBulletin site look like a default IPB site? Their style is one of the worst things going for them...
                  Meh. There seems to be a few who like the look, but know or soon learn, that you can't judge a book by its cover. I have no problem giving people the look they desire with the power of vBulletin.

Originally posted by weather101 View Post
                  IPB Is a very nice piece of forum software, we've used it and we've had not too many problems, however we are merging with another company that uses VB4 heavily. So we are going to be switching to VB4. I feel it is going to be for the best though, as I hear VBSEO is fantastic. We should be fully transitioned in 4 weeks.
                  Congratulations on your pending move. You'll like what vBulletin has to offer.
                  Last edited by Zachery; Mon 27 Feb '12, 10:57am. Reason: tripple post, tsk tsk

Comment

Thank you! Looking forward to it! I hope my members like it!

Comment

Open to all to see, provided it's positive or at the very least, can be open to interpretation. Anything in a solid negative stance with facts (not just rant, but facts) is often relocated out of public view (typically into the customer forums) or deleted altogether.

Meh. There seems to be a few who like the look, but know or soon learn, that you can't judge a book by its cover. I have no problem giving people the look they desire with the power of vBulletin.
                      There's no doubt that all software, forum or not has its issues. But I just went to have a look of what sort of 'issue' existing clients were having in their support forum. I couldn't find one that indicates pepole are have trouble with the software, but rather they where more 'how-to' questions which is perfectly fine. So again, I want to know what 'problems' are there with IPB?

I also heavily disagree with your stance of 'not to judge a book by its cover'. We are now living in the 21st century, the Internet has been around for sometime now, and I'm sure its become a part of everyone's lives on a daily basis in some form. USER INTERACTION and USER INTERFACE are just some of the core elements of good website design; beautiful design and aesthetics is now expected by visitors. Imagine if Google were still using their designs back when they first started, or if Amazon never cared to upgrade their website since launching. It's all about streamlining things and making the interaction for a user a pleasant one. I probably wouldn't be too wrong if I said some people might judge a company based on the quality of their website build, particularly if they were online based.

I have joined various vB forums over the years that were tailored to my interests, and the only thing that used to keep me from posting was their very dull, bleak and wholly unattractive interface that wanted to make you vomit when you see it.

To tie this in with the thread, this is where vB has been lacking since the release of their software. I actually was excited with vb4 was released hoping to see a fresh new start, but was disappointed to say the least when I loaded up the demo.

I sure over the next few years, Invision Power are soon going to lead the way with innovative forum software. People are going to be jumping from vB to IBP soon enough, and we'll see mods and skins becoming more available whilst the vB modding scence dries out (if it hasn't already begun).

Overall, it just seems that IPB has more down to reality and watch the Internet change and adapt their software to suit it, mobile and social networking is a good example (they have facilities for both in their package). They know what features to incorporate with their software that people need (they already make an ecommerce, blog, content, gallery, downloads etc addon for the software - something that vB users have been aching for, but have to get them in the form of 'mods' instead).

Comment

While you maybe right, the IP.Gallery forum is full of very negative comments and does not give an indication that their feedback forums are overly moderated.
                        I buy 420 forums

Comment

I usually try demos of forum software, before buying/deploying. You should also do the same. I found IPB is nice, but it's way to expensive to maintain (Buying upgrades, syles, mods) also "Nexus" the CMS is encoded so you can't do much with it. And the profile styles just look bleh, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sage Knight View Post
                            I usually try demos of forum software, before buying/deploying. You should also do the same.
                            This was copied from the FAQ:

Since vBulletin is a "visible source" product, it is not possible for us to offer the full version of the software for evaluation. We do have an online demonstration system. You can open a sand boxed demo of the software for evaluation purposes using this system. Please visit http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php to register a demo.

The vBulletin Server Test Script will tell you if your current web server is capable of running vBulletin.
                            A computer without Microsoft Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
                            vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Sage Knight View Post
                              also "Nexus" the CMS is encoded so you can't do much with it.
                              Nexus is not the CMS, Content is the one which supposed to be the CMS.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Profiles in IPB have no customization, except a simple background. Profiles also have no privacy settings.
                                IP.Content is the CMS. IP.Nexus is their e-commerce solution. vbulletin does not have that. IP.Nexus does have hooks which allow expansion for payment methods, etc. So you can somewhat modify it.
                                I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X