Need to be sold on the functional superiority of VB4 over VB3.8.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
    If both the links were the same, yes... If the two links have two unique URLs, no.
    I would assume they would be the same because how else would a person link to a particular post without using the same URL? When a person clicks on the post number they copy the URL that points to that post and then they paste the URL into another website. I don't understand where the problem is with vBulletin providing URLs for each post as you have indicated.

Comment

• IPB3.2
      http://www.ipbforum.com/topic/203-to...dpost__p__2303

VB4.0
      https://www.vbulletinforum.com/forum...ull=1#post2303

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy View Post
        I would assume they would be the same because how else would a person link to a particular post without using the same URL? When a person clicks on the post number they copy the URL that points to that post and then they paste the URL into another website. I don't understand where the problem is with vBulletin providing URLs for each post as you have indicated.
        If it works well for you or you prefer to have many unique URLs for whatever reason, then no worries... Like anything, what works fOr some, doesn't work for others. I'm arguably an expert on SEO, search engines and link structure (I run the largest SEI/marketing community in the world). More importantly, when we got rid of the duplicate URLs, we went from ~20k daily visitors coming in from Google search to more than 100k/day and our overall search rankings went up for everything. So the net result was 500% increase in search traffic.

If duplicate URLs works well for you, great... But it's not the case for other (myself included).
        Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
        Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Let's get back to the topic.
          New features in vB4:
          - seo friendly urls
          - ckeditor and auto save function
          - integrated cms system (suite only)
          - integrated blog (suite only)
          - basic mobile style
          - mobile api
          - vBulletin API
          - sidebar in forum view
          - new style
          - stylevar system css based
          - style creator
          - facebook connect
          - sitemap generator
          - VerticalResponse integration
          - Skimlinks integration
          - asset manager
          - Improved (?) Search - search across forum threads, posts, social groups, social group messages, visitor messages
          -

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
            - Improved (?) Search
            -
            <giggle> <titter>
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              <giggle> <titter>

excellent reaction. that is the best example presented here. thank you for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by weather101 View Post
                excellent reaction. that is the best example presented here. thank you for that.
                Unfortunately, search in vB4 is a regression from vb4. It doesn't really work well at all, particularly on larger sites.

However, vBulletin have provided a free (albeit unsupported) Sphinx search plugin for vB4. I use it, it's great. So if you have a VPS or dedicated server and need a decent search, then that sorts it.
                DigitalPoint, who has posted in this thread, also offers a supported Sphinx plugin at very low cost which many also use and most claim is better than the vBulletin free plugin.

One of the above would be the way to go for those who are serious about search.

Anyone on shared hosting who cannot have Sphinx - well the default vB4 search will probably "do the job" in these cases. It's "alright" for small boards.

Comment

Unfortunately, search in vB4 is a regression from vb4.
                  You are absolutely right, it could even be said it's a regression from vB4.

Comment

indeed so!

Comment

No, sorry, we're both wrong, it's actually a regression from vB4!

I'm getting old, as I'm too tired to be posting in forums and it's only 10pm here. Gah! I should get a life really but I don't have the energy. I'll just whine on here for a little longer, get Paul M's back up, then clear off to bed in a huff.

Comment

• Speaking of the Search function, is there a bug that causes your username to automatically populate the search-by-username field?

Whenever I go into Advanced Search I see my username automatically filled out in that field and have to go through the trouble of deleting my name so I'm not searching for my own posts.

Am I doing something wrong when I go into Advanced Search? Or are others seeing this glitch as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHotChili View Post
                          Speaking of the Search function, is there a bug that causes your username to automatically populate the search-by-username field?

Whenever I go into Advanced Search I see my username automatically filled out in that field and have to go through the trouble of deleting my name so I'm not searching for my own posts.

Am I doing something wrong when I go into Advanced Search? Or are others seeing this glitch as well?
                          I don't get that and I am not aware of any code being in place that would do it.

My best guess is that your browser is populating it for some reason.

Comment

I'm getting old, as I'm too tired to be posting in forums and it's only 10pm here. Gah! I should get a life really but I don't have the energy. I'll just whine on here for a little longer, get Paul M's back up, then clear off to bed in a huff.
                            Never mind, but I agree, we old farts should go sleep at 8 pm.

Comment

I don't get that and I am not aware of any code being in place that would do it.

My best guess is that your browser is populating it for some reason.
                              Yeah, maybe it's browser related if others aren't experiencing this.

I'm using Firefox 9.0, btw.

Comment

• I am using Google Chrome 16.0.912.77 m

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X