Need to be sold on the functional superiority of VB4 over VB3.8.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
    Nope, it's the opposite... they are each crawled by Google (it doesn't know they are duplicate content until it actually looks at the content of the URLs (spiders them), then it ignores them as duplicate content after it knows.
    So where exactly is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by RedHotChili View Post
      Dude, no disrespect, but you need to start your own thread regarding comparisons between ipb and vbulletin.

Excellent suggestion. Most helpful indeed. Sure will. Thank you.

Comment

CKEditor - Video Embedding

Looking at the full features of the CKEditor on their demo at their website and comparing it to the one vBulletin is using in VB4, it appears that the developers here have customized it a bit by adding the useful "Insert Video" button, as this is not a standard feature of CKEditor.

Instructions for using this feature should be included in the FAQ. Maybe the developers here can add some.

According to the pop-up when you click on the Insert Video button, the supported videos include: Hulu YouTube (Long) YouTube (Short) Vimeo Dailymotion Metacafe Google facebook

But try as I might, I can't figure out how to embed a Hulu vid. Does anybody know how?

This is what I get when I try this:

[video]http://www.hulu.com/adzone/watch/325382/adzone-volkswagen-the-dog-strikes-back---extended[/video]

http://www.hulu.com/adzone/watch/325...ack---extended

Here's a couple gratuitous examples of YouTube and Vimeo:

I'm really digging the VB4 CKEditor.

This is what I was trying to discover, how VB4 can increase the user experience. The CKEditor and the expanded BBCode List are certainly worth it to me to go ahead and do the upgrade.

Now if only the developers here can add a "sketcher" feature where you can sketch free-hand with your mouse to make an illustration in your post. That would really put vBulletin ahead of all other forum software by leaps and bounds.

Comment

IPB's editor:

Vb's editor:

Comment

Hi weather101,

The editor on vb4 has many more functions when you click Go Advanced.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                So where exactly is the problem?
                Well aside from your server wasting resources to serve up duplicate content to Googlebot, the problem is that Google measures relevancy largely based on the number of links to a page. Less links to the exact same page means lower rankings than it would be because it's considered less important than if it had more links to it.
                Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

Originally posted by RedHotChili View Post
                  Now if only the developers here can add a "sketcher" feature where you can sketch free-hand with your mouse to make an illustration in your post. That would really put vBulletin ahead of all other forum software by leaps and bounds.
                  Actually that's a really interesting idea! You should perhaps add it to the tracker as a suggestion. Although, I suspect it isn't going to be physically possible unless CKEditor themselves add it, but you should make the devs aware of the thought.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

vB's CKEditor is much better with a bit of styling to make it match the style:

MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
                      Well aside from your server wasting resources to serve up duplicate content to Googlebot, the problem is that Google measures relevancy largely based on the number of links to a page. Less links to the exact same page means lower rankings than it would be because it's considered less important than if it had more links to it.
                      I would think that Google still counts outside links in with that type of URL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                        Actually that's a really interesting idea! You should perhaps add it to the tracker as a suggestion. Although, I suspect it isn't going to be physically possible unless CKEditor themselves add it, but you should make the devs aware of the thought.
                        Yeah, I mean, the basic objective of a community forum is to communicate. And sometimes a sketch truly is worth a thousand words of text.

Perhaps it can be done with an embedded object like the Table feature where a user can sketch inside a box what he's trying to convey to his audience.

The only option available to do this that I know of is to use a third party sketcher and then save the sketch as an image file and add it to your post as an attachment. But this is often too cumbersome and time consuming to do when all you want to do is get your point across quickly so others can see what you're talking about.

Yeah, good idea, I'll see about adding this as a suggestion.

Comment

• It would count the links to the one page displayed, and not count the links to the pages dropped for being duplicate. If they counted links to a page based on content of the page being linked, you would be able to do all sorts of nasty things... Like make a page with duplicate content from a site you din't own and then siphon their "link juice" simply because your page is the same as theirs.

Another bad part of the duplicate content is that Google throttles itself when it comes to the number of pages it will spider on your site each day... So spidering duplicate content also means less legit content pages are spidered.
                          Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                          Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Thing is does Google treat any of this as link farms? This has me concerned!

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
                              and not count the links to the pages dropped for being duplicate.
                              What do you mean by this? I would think that each external link would be counted. For example if two different websites pointed to the same post on my forum, those two links would be counted.

Comment

• If both the links were the same, yes... If the two links have two unique URLs, no.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X