Need to be sold on the functional superiority of VB4 over VB3.8.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    No, they haven't built in all the buttons, it needs to be compact.
    I see.

I wonder if anyone has modded theirs to include a few extra features. I suppose I can check over at vb.org.

Now, if only we can get an improved search feature with a better interface, I'll be solidly sold on VB4.

Comment

FWIW I used to work for IBM Software group and CKeditor is very much part of IBM Web technologies (eg Quickr, CMS, Portal as the WYSIWYG editor).

I'm very happy with vB4 at our site, and we have a lot of add-on/custom bits

Kym
      environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
      Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

I have decided it's between vb4 and staying with ipb. here we go. thank you all very much for the assistance.

i really appreciate everyone here. however invision power services is still an excellent company. I am still very torn. Please continue to assist me. thank you very much.

Comment

I would say take your time and weigh your options. Honestly I (and most of the staff) want what going to be best for you and your community.

Are there any specific questions you have or are concerned about?

Comment

Weather101,
            You could try bringing your awesome forum over to vB and use impex because simply vB's better than what IPB are. You can do more with the software and add more things over here. You get more people as well because it's a vBulletin forum.
            This is what I did. I bought a IPB forum and use that just for discussions only. You could do that, whilst with your other forum you bring that one over here use impex so that you don't lose anything that you are going to use.
            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

well look and feel are very important. some forums that run vb 3.8.x seem to have a more older feel to it though. vb4 forums feel more modern.

I have kinda came to the conclusion that sticking with vb 3.8.x is like sticking with firefox 3.6
              and going to vb4 is like firefox 4.0 and higher and has the same kind of people saying they hate the new radical changes from 3.6.x to firefox 4.0+

but 3.8.x is going to be EOL like the impending firefox 3.6.x release.... is my concern as well.

Thank you all very much for the assistance but still part of me is wishing to stay with IPB.

Comment

honestly, if you were moving from ipb to vb then vb4 would probably be a better choice. Anyway when you buy vb4 you get 3.8 anyway. There's a lot of forums on 3.8 that aren't upgrading any time soon.

I don't think I've returned to an ipb site ever in the last 5 years whereas there's plenty of vb sites that I have returned to frequently.

Comment

amazing assistance. thank you very much. i will discuss this with the other staff members.

what didn't you like about ipb?

Comment

Anyone not already running vB who would like to, should go straight to vB4. It is absolutely fine, especially the forum-only part, which is now rock solid stable.
                    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by weather101 View Post
                      I have decided it's between vb4 and staying with ipb. here we go. thank you all very much for the assistance.

i really appreciate everyone here. however invision power services is still an excellent company. I am still very torn. Please continue to assist me. thank you very much.
                      Personally, I think vB4 is a better all round solution than IPB. IPB is coming on in leaps and bounds though, whereas vB's innovation is much slower these days.

IPB's interface is STILL clunky and difficult though, in my opinion. Even though IBP's default style looks visually a lot better than it did, vB4's looks better (expects flames).

Comment

Why no one mentioned the friendly url feature in vb4, I think it's a major improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane_sh View Post
                          Why no one mentioned the friendly url feature in vb4, I think it's a major improvement.
                          Good point, if you are starting from scratch or changing from other software, that's a major feasture to consider using.

Anyone (like myself) who moved up to vB4 from vB3 however, should really leave the old style URLs in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                            Anyone (like myself) who moved up to vB4 from vB3 however, should really leave the old style URLs in place.
                            The old URLs can be redirected perfectly, I don't think it will hurt the forum to start using a different URL structure.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane_sh View Post
                              The old URLs can be redirected perfectly, I don't think it will hurt the forum to start using a different URL structure.
                              There is really no need for an established forum to be redirecting established URLs when they are staying on the same platform. Just makes problems for no reason.
                              Google does not need SEO friendly URLs these days, it's a purely cosmetic exercise.

Comment

I prefer the shorter standard URLs.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X