No announcement yet.

Need to be sold on the functional superiority of VB4 over VB3.8.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi punchbowl, how are you? would you please explain why vb 3.8 is better then ipb? i would really appreciate it! thanks!

Comment

This thread explains it pretty well: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=89230
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

excellent link alfa1! Thank you very much!

Comment

Well, no one's pointed this out yet, but I've discovered that VB4 does have an enhanced Text Editor with improved capabilities that's superior to VB3.

• [*=1]There's an "Insert Video" link next to the "Insert Image" link; whereas none exists in VB3.8.

• [*=1]There's an Auto-Saved feature that saves your work as you're constructing your post that VB3.8 lacks.

• [*=1]There's an "Insert Table" with fully editable table properties

• [*=1]There's a "Subscript" and a "Superscript" feature so you can type: H2O and x3+ x2 + 2x = 0

• [*=1]There's a "Paste From Word" feature.

• [*=1]There's a "Paste as Plain Text" feature.

• [*=1]There's an "Insert Horizontal Line" feature.

So, if we are to construct this comparison table that I alluded to in the OP, this might be a good as any place to start, with the Text Editor:

Text Editor VB3.8 VB4
          Insert Video X
          Auto-Save X
          Insert Table X
          Subscript & Superscript X
          Paste from Word X
          Paste as Plain Text X
          Insert Horizontal Line X

Comment

One of the really useful features of the new CKEditor in vB4 is the ability to expand vertically the editor window. This is very useful for long posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              One of the really useful features of the new CKEditor in vB4 is the ability to expand vertically the editor window. This is very useful for long posts.
              You could actually do that in the old editor.

That said, CKEditor is probably the major feature improvement in vB4 now.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                That said, CKEditor is probably the major feature improvement in vB4 now.
                I'm not familiar with the term CKEditor. I couldn't find mention of it in the Manual or anywhere else.

Is CKEditor the same term as Text Editor that I'm using?

Does anyone know what "CK" stands for?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  I think that might be more a function of your browser. Firefox has this capability for all text input boxes on a web page.

Comment

CKeditor is a licensed third party editor we've intergrated into vBulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                      CKeditor is a licensed third party editor we've intergrated into vBulletin.
                      Cool.

So is vBulletin allowed to modify it, enhance it?

I'd like to see the capability of being able to highlight text as if with a yellow highlighter where the text remains black but with a rectangular band of yellow in the background.

Is this something we can request as a future enhancement that vBulletin can consider?

Comment

Originally posted by RedHotChili View Post
                        Cool.

So is vBulletin allowed to modify it, enhance it?

I'd like to see the capability of being able to highlight text as if with a yellow highlighter where the text remains black but with a rectangular band of yellow in the background.

Is this something we can request as a future enhancement that vBulletin can consider?
                        I think that's a bit specific to be included in the core product to be honest.

You could try asking on the modifications site, www.vbulletin.org, but frankly I think it's unlikely.

Comment

Does anyone know what "CK" stands for?
                          The developer's name is Frederico C. Knabben. The editor was previously known as FCKEditor before he shortened it.

Incidentally, when I first suggested using FCKeditor to Adrian, I had no idea that it had a companion product, CKFinder, an ajax-based asset manager. Maybe they should look into using that instead of the currrent asset manager?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                            I think that's a bit specific to be included in the core product to be honest.

You could try asking on the modifications site, www.vbulletin.org, but frankly I think it's unlikely.
                            I was just browsing over at ckeditor.com and came across their demo which does indeed have the highlight feature:

http://ckeditor.com/demo

I wonder if what vBulletin has is an older version that needs to be updated?

Comment

Originally posted by Arkham View Post
                              The developer's name is Frederico C. Knabben. The editor was previously known as FCKEditor before he shortened it.
                              Thanks.

I'd say that was a smart move for him to shorten it to CKEditor as the former name probably got abused by those who got frustrated with it.

Comment

I was just browsing over at ckeditor.com and came across their demo which does indeed have the highlight feature:

http://ckeditor.com/demo

I wonder if what vBulletin has is an older version that needs to be updated?
                                No, they haven't built in all the buttons, it needs to be compact.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X