Need to be sold on the functional superiority of VB4 over VB3.8.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

The other aspect of "modern" styles is all the popover and sliding nonsense, which I generally despise.
    I completely agree.

Comment

I do not mean jumping, flashing whatever. But elegant & modern. This is what vbulletin 4 lacks.
      tbh I find the default vb4 style a downgrade from vb3. Yes, vb3 looks a little more outdated than how outdated vb4 looks. But at least in vb3 everything is compact. In vb4 there still is a sea of whitespace under every post(15mm on my screen), whitespace under every quote(5mm on my screen), ugly icons, the grayish-blue looks dull and outdated, and it looks clunky/bulky. They actually seemed to have copied that mistake from IPB. I agree that the navbar is an improvement, but its still bad. Forumhome has many elements that look very much like the old 'Kirsch' style from 2005/2006.
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
        There has been plenty of discussion, were quite a few webmasters made clear they are not happy with it. Its not a matter of personal taste.
        And quite a few webmasters have made it clear they ARE happy with it - and it IS a matter of personal taste. What you like and what someone else likes is down to them. Just because you and others don't like it doesn't mean that everyone who does is wrong and they should have the same taste as you...
        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
        -
        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
        - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
        - "Quick Route" Interface...
        - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Good idea I want to know also.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
            And quite a few webmasters have made it clear they ARE happy with it - and it IS a matter of personal taste. What you like and what someone else likes is down to them. Just because you and others don't like it doesn't mean that everyone who does is wrong and they should have the same taste as you...
            It has nothing to do with taste and certainly not with what I do and do not like. Its about a substantial number of users who report they have difficulty using a function. Surely websites who have tech savvy users will get few complaints about the asset manager. So the asset manager will be perfect for those sites. But websites who have less tech savvy users do get complaints.
            User Interfaces should be granny-proof. And unfortunately the vb4 asset manager is not granny-proof. That's the issue with it.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              One area that has been a huge problem with vB4 is the Search. In vB3 it was easy to use, but in vB4 it's terrible because it's spread over two pages and the defaults make it very difficult to use.
              Unless it's been fixed, vB4 misses over half of the threads that contain any search term I try.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking for valid reasons to upgrade my 3.8 forums.

Nobody mentioned this... is the the vB4 admin an improvement over vB3.8.x?

Comment

Originally posted by peterdl View Post
                  I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking for valid reasons to upgrade my 3.8 forums.

Nobody mentioned this... is the the vB4 admin an improvement over vB3.8.x?
                  No, it's exactly the same.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                    Unless it's been fixed, vB4 misses over half of the threads that contain any search term I try.
                    Can you give an example of such a term in these forums? I want to try it out. If anything I've seen more results rather than fewer (e.g. missed).

Comment

the big one apparently is that in vb3 guests see a post button on threads even though they can't post

Comment

Originally posted by Arkham View Post
                        Can you give an example of such a term in these forums? I want to try it out. If anything I've seen more results rather than fewer (e.g. missed).
                        I've run into that a lot -- even when trying to search for specific terms by user, it won't pull up a thread that I know exists. Wish I had an example to share though.
                        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                          There is no difference between vB3 and vB4 in regards to the misses, both are terrible. The problem lies in that the actual search script. The way the post data is put into a word table and that is searched is a terrible design IMHO.

IMHO a proper search would search the post table directly and any search term can be used. It would work exactly the same way phpmyadmin works when we search the post table.

Comment

Originally posted by punchbowl View Post
                            the big one apparently is that in vb3 guests see a post button on threads even though they can't post
                            That's a 5 minute condition fix..
                            -- Web Developer for hire
                            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

hello there everyone. oh wow this is an excellent thread. umm is it better then i stick to ipb then instead of vb4? this has discouraged me greatly. please asssit me with this. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
                                That's a 5 minute condition fix..
                                After months of arguing whether it's fixed or broken at all.

Originally posted by weather101 View Post
                                hello there everyone. oh wow this is an excellent thread. umm is it better then i stick to ipb then instead of vb4? this has discouraged me greatly. please asssit me with this. thank you.
                                vb3.8 is better than ipb imo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X