Need to be sold on the functional superiority of VB4 over VB3.8.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by weather101 View Post
    No, it is still a good idea to bring the IPB stuff to the table becuase that is one of the forum systems people have switched to instead of VB4.
    And this thread is NOT about switching to other forum systems!
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• I had two mods on my vb3.8 that are no longer needed in vb4, as they are now included in this latest version:
      • The AME (Automatic Media Embedding) mod that I no longer need, now that CKEditor handles video embedding easily for users.

• The "Display the Date of Creation of Threads" mod that is no longer needed, now that vb4 automatically does this.

So, to continue and add to my comparison table:

vb3 vb4
      WYSIWYG Text Editor X X
      Insert Video X
      Auto-Save X
      Insert Table X
      Subscript & Superscript X
      Paste from Word X
      Paste as Plain Text X
      Insert Horizontal Line X
      Expanded BBCode List X
      Display Thread Start Date X

Can anybody think of any other advantages for forum only?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
        Do you have a license for vBulletin? I can't find a record of you having one...
        We are currently on IPB and switching to VB4 becuase we are merging with another site/company. I'm on here to collect data that might affect the decision.

as far as the situation with VB3.8.x vs 4.0 is what I've noted in my other posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by weather101 View Post
          We are currently on IPB and switching to VB4 becuase we are merging with another site/company. I'm on here to collect data that might affect the decision.

as far as the situation with VB3.8.x vs 4.0 is what I've noted in my other posts.
          Can I suggest in that case then that you restrict advice you give to others to vBulletin's software only and to the subject matter of the thread - vB3 vs vB4, not other solutions
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

• but isn't anyone the least bit concerned about why people don't like VB4? and the reasons a lot of people are clinging to vb3.8.x like they did with windows xp? and rather then run outdated forum software they switched to IPB?

if I'm met with any other problems and anyone on here makes me feel uneasy about vbulletin I will convince the owners not to switch. I shall stay calm and I hope that people are aware of the reasons I've noted above though.

Comment

• There are other threads about that - this thread is titled 'Need to be sold on the functional superiority of VB4 over VB3.8.x' therefore that's the discussion in hand.
              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

• I'm trying to make this same decision currently but this quote below brings in another consideration. When is vB5 due? I would hate to purchase an upgrade then find I have to purchase yet another one not long after?

Also, did the recent 4.2 update, fix the majority of issues within this thread?

Thanks

Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
                Native Simlinks and VerticalResponse integration? Lol

The Facebook integration is new to vB4... There really isn't anything major functionality-wise though... So if that's what you are looking for, probably best bet is to wait until vB5.

Even vBSI's staff have given advice to wait until vB5 vs upgrading to vB4 at this point.

Comment

• vB4.2.0 is very good, it adds a Navidation Manager and Activity stream plus a few other new features.
                  See the release page.
                  I'd wait for the Forumcon vB5 announcement before buying (a few days off)
                  - may as well buy vB5 and in the short term then install 4.2 (until 5 is stable and has the mods you need)
                  http://theforumcon.com/

and http://blog.viglink.com/2012/05/25/f...wesm-publisher
                  environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                  Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• Thanks Rick, that's what I was thinking, I almost bought it whilst it was on special yesterday, but I will wait until forumcon

Good to know vB4.2 is much better!

Comment

• 4.2 still has 850 bugs, an aborted rewrite, bad search and a CMS in shambles. But none the less, its much better than previous versions of vb4. The activity stream is the first feature that I find appealing enough to consider an upgrade. I'll await forumcon and other news about vb5, before I decide what I do or where I go. I might just fire up vb3 development to allow me to wait for vb5.
                      I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X