Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance Required please

Hi Everyone,

I am very convinced to purchase the Forum license. I have a couple of questions before I do so:

I have a website which is .com

I want to have a forum as an extension to my website - I already own the same domain name but .info

Just wandering if anyone can advise me if I should keep the forum seperate to my main site at .info?

I personally want to have my forum and website seperate but with the same domain name. I am most interested in hearing any negatives to doing this or if I should go for it.

Also:

How is your experience with using Google Adsense with V bulletin? Any good?

Thank you

Havin read what I just posted.. Let me make it clear.

I want mydomain.com (main website) and mydomain.info (new forum)

Just for the record that is not my website, just using it as an example in case I am not alowed to post actual domains.

Thank you.

Comment

can do that just would need to keep both domains active meaning renew the yearly registration on both and keep web hosting for both of them.....

I personally would keep mydomain.com (main website) and forums.mydomain.com (forums)
      ------------------------------------------
      Steve
      DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
      CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
      TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
      Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

SO in reality all I would need is the main one which is in use now mydomain.com

but how do I add forums.mydomain.com?

Comment

depending on your hosting package and control panel. If your host allows sub domains (forum.domain.com) and you have cpanel it's easily added by using the subdomains tool. or you could have it like domain.com/forum with a forum folder in the public_html.
          www.cdmagurus.com
          www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

This is really usefully. Thanks for the great help.

Does anyone have any knowledge of using Goddady products with Vbulletin?

Comment

Originally posted by marbella2012 View Post
              This is really usefully. Thanks for the great help.

Does anyone have any knowledge of using Goddady products with Vbulletin?
              Yes, tons of people here have tried using Godaddy with vBulletin and they all agree.... Don't use any forum software using Godaddy as your host. Doesn't matter if its vBulletin, IPB, phpBB, SMF, ect...ect... Godaddy has very poor servers for forum software.

You will always be better off with a different host. There are tons of them out there to pick from.

Comment

Okay I am more than happy to do that.

But that leaves me one question.

I have worked out how to do a subdomain forum.mydomain.com

To be honest I have 1,000,000 mb worth of bandwidth availble to me and im using about 9% of that. So much space availble to me that could be made use of.... and I have used godaddy for about 2 years with absolutely no problems.

Of course mydomain.com is hosted with Godaddy. So if I were to follow your advice would I host the forum somewhere completely diffrent and still use the same sub domain? or would I actually need to host my website somewhere else too?

Comment

Okay I am more than happy to do that.

But that leaves me one question.

I have worked out how to do a subdomain forum.mydomain.com

To be honest I have 1,000,000 mb worth of bandwidth availble to me and im using about 9% of that. So much space availble to me that could be made use of.... and I have used godaddy for about 2 years with absolutely no problems.

Of course mydomain.com is hosted with Godaddy. So if I were to follow your advice would I host the forum somewhere completely diffrent and still use the same sub domain? or would I actually need to host my website somewhere else too?
                  Yes, vBulletin will run on a sub domain. And yes, Godaddy can help you set one up (see link below for Godaddy support)

http://help.godaddy.com/article/4652

But as a personal opinion, I would suggest you seek another host. Godaddy is OK if all you're using is html. But once you start using PHP & MySQL, they don't do so well. I've heard of horror stories about even simple WordPress sites having issues with Godaddy.

Comment

Super advice!! Thank you ever so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Top advisors!

Comment

A subdomain actually is only a folder.

mydomain.com/myforum
                      accessed as
                      myforum.mydomain.com

So you cannot have mydomain.com with Godaddy and mydomain.com/myforum or myforum.mydomain.com with another host.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                        A subdomain actually is only a folder.

<snip>

So you cannot have mydomain.com with Godaddy <snip> or myforum.mydomain.com with another host.
                        This is not true at all.

You can totally have 'myforum.mydomain.com' with another host. You would just change the subdomain's A Record at the nameserver level to point to the different IP.
                        - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

Okay, I guess my final question. More in need of your personal opinions:

Do i go for V Bulletin Publishin Suite or V Bulletin Forum Classic? - What are the benifits to me - who just wants a simple forum with decent seo and of course the abillity to place my own adsense code

Maybe you can tell me what this is. Suite or Forum Classic..... http://www.investorsiraq.com/ .. I see that forum as an excellent example of where I want to get to.

Thank you once again.

Comment

I've got a gaming website and then you click the forum link at the top and it's just .com/forum

Comment

Okay, I guess my final question. More in need of your personal opinions:

Do i go for V Bulletin Publishin Suite or V Bulletin Forum Classic? - What are the benifits to me - who just wants a simple forum with decent seo and of course the abillity to place my own adsense code

Maybe you can tell me what this is. Suite or Forum Classic..... http://www.investorsiraq.com/ .. I see that forum as an excellent example of where I want to get to.

Thank you once again.
                              If you do not think you'll need a blog or cms, then the classic forum will be enough for you.

In your example, they are using the full suite, with a few other 3rd party modifications.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X