Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to migrate from phpBB

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking to migrate from phpBB

    Hey all, I am a noob when it comes to forums and web stuff but I am trying to learn.

    I own a forum on phpBB and correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read I can migrate my users and content to vBulletin but I will have some broken links and such. What I am wondering is if I migrate my forum can I just archive everything from php and start fresh with vBulletin?

    I would like to keep everything or as much as I can from the old forum but start new. This way my members could still access there threads, most of my active members have vehicle build threads that get added to a often. So they would like to transfer them over or copy them when I make the switch.

    Any help with this would be appreciated!

    Thank you

  • #2

    Originally posted by JRW7072009 View Post

    I own a forum on phpBB and correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read I can migrate my users and content to vBulletin but I will have some broken links and such. What I am wondering is if I migrate my forum can I just archive everything from php and start fresh with vBulletin?

    I would like to keep everything or as much as I can from the old forum but start new. This way my members could still access there threads, most of my active members have vehicle build threads that get added to a often. So they would like to transfer them over or copy them when I make the switch.
    All the threads and posts will be there.
    Current links to them will not work after the migration.

    Passwords will be lost.


    vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

    Comment


    • #3
      You can "close" the forums after importing them so no new posts can be made, they will effectively be archived. You will need to create new forums then for people to post in. You can create copies of threads and put them in different forums.

      Note- you will need to import into vBulletin 4.2.x because you cannot import onto vBulletin 5.x at this time. After the import you are free to upgrade to VB 5.x if you choose to.

      You can download and use VB 4.2.x with your VB5 license so there is no additional cost, you simply can use either one or the other, but not both at the same time on a live site.

      Comment


      • #4
        I mean it you have so much knowledge about this issue and so much passion. I will keep visiting this forum very often.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by beishe8 View Post


          All the threads and posts will be there.
          Current links to them will not work after the migration.

          Passwords will be lost.
          ​So are you saying the members passwords will be lost? If so do I just reset them or how does it work?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
            You can "close" the forums after importing them so no new posts can be made, they will effectively be archived. You will need to create new forums then for people to post in. You can create copies of threads and put them in different forums.

            Note- you will need to import into vBulletin 4.2.x because you cannot import onto vBulletin 5.x at this time. After the import you are free to upgrade to VB 5.x if you choose to.

            You can download and use VB 4.2.x with your VB5 license so there is no additional cost, you simply can use either one or the other, but not both at the same time on a live site.
            Thank you this is good advice.

            I have another question. If I were to do the vBulletin Cloud now could I switch it to the vBulletin 5 Connect + Mobile at a later time? I won't be able to make the switch until March but I was looking at the Cloud and thought that may be a good way to get started.

            Thank you again

            Comment

            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X