Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are a forum's posts organised within the database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are a forum's posts organised within the database?

Since they make up the majority of the database size, are they somehow split into separate tables depending on time-frame for instance, or are all posts ever written on a forum kept in a single table that keeps growing and growing over time?

Very generally speaking, you just have a THREAD table and POST table.
    anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
    Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
    Please be my friend!
    http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
    vBulletin Performance Articles:
    Click here to read

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad View Post
      Since they make up the majority of the database size, are they somehow split into separate tables depending on time-frame for instance, or are all posts ever written on a forum kept in a single table that keeps growing and growing over time?
      The post table keeps growing over time.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

If the posts table grows to 2-3 GB, will editing large posts be just as quick as with a smaller forum?

Many years ago forum software had a pruning feature that admins would use as storage often became an issue, but nowadays storage is of no concern whatsoever, so people will let their forums grow without the need to delete old posts. Will it at some point be a good idea from a technical standpoint for really huge boards to have their posts divided into tables based on time-frame (ex. 1 table for each year or number of years) or other criteria?

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad View Post
          Thanks, guys.

If the posts table grows to 2-3 GB, will editing large posts be just as quick as with a smaller forum?
          My forum has about 1.2 million posts and editing posts is extremely fast. The post table is .5GB in size.

Comment

I am looking to import my forum where we have almost 3mln posts and the table containing them shows 2.05 GB for the "data length" and 1.56 GB for the "index length." On top of that changing from ISO encoding to UTF will inflate those figures somewhat.

It's going to be a looong import when the time comes, but moving to vB is the best step forward.

Somewhere down the line it might be useful to split up posts between an archive table where posts older than say 1 year can no longer be edited/moved/etc. (by anyone other than the admin), and a current table that the server is constantly dealing with which would then be much smaller. At least when it comes to big boards with tons of posts.

Comment