Threaded Tree Style Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded Tree Style Forum

I am considering a move to vBulletin but am very concerned about keeping the general functionality of my current forum at http://surveyorconnect.com. It uses a threaded, hierarchal tree-style forum software and my users love it. A little backstory: an industry magazine used to have a similar forum, then switched to a newer format and nobody liked it -- so I started a new forum using MyLittleForum (http://mylittleforum.net) and told a few surveyors about it and in short order, it was very busy and respected in the surveying community. Many of the users are "old school" and so they like this format. But I also want to attract a younger crowd, who I assume would prefer a more modern format.

What I'm really hoping for here is that vBulletin would allow me to provide BOTH formats on a user-by-user basis, so they can select which format they'd prefer. Also, one of the features they like about the current site is the little bubble next to the date in the topics list that gives a preview of the latest post within that topic. If we lose that feature, I won't be heart-broken, but it would be nice to have something like that in vBulletin, if possible.

There is so much I could do with my forum that MLF won't allow me to do. Probably the biggest thing is the social aspects -- allowing people to "like" and share posts, etc.

I'd love your thoughts, opinions and references to anything that might help me make the decision to move to vBulletin. Thanks!

vB3 and vB4 can do a sort-of threaded view, though it won't be exactly like you're used to.
    vB5 cannot - the functionality was removed as hardly anyone uses it these days.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Just to make sure I understand -- even a custom "skin" or "theme" wouldn't be able to replicate the threaded style?

Comment

A custom skin is just like a paint job, it doesn't change how the forum functions. You may however find a plugin over at www.vbulletin.org that may meet your needs, especially if you choose vb 4, as it's been around longer there are more mods and plugins for it.

Comment

Originally posted by HarnessTech View Post
          Just to make sure I understand -- even a custom "skin" or "theme" wouldn't be able to replicate the threaded style?
          If a skin-/theme-designer manages to create a skin/theme that is capable of what you want to archive, this could be considered as custom coding.

Comment

As templates in vBulletin 5 can make direct API calls, this could be possible in a vBulletin 5 style. The forum structure is built in a similar fashion. Not sure how difficult it would be for topic display though. Topics themselves only support three layers of nesting: Parent or Original Post, Replies and Comments on Replies.

However it is probably trivial to indent replies to provide a pseudo nested look.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              Wayne Luke commented
              Editing a comment
              This is what a comment looks like...

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X