Top 5 Needs and Top 5 Questions Before Choosing Forum/Community Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Needs and Top 5 Questions Before Choosing Forum/Community Software

What are Your Top 5 Needs and Top 5 Questions that you are (or would be) looking to have satisfied prior to choosing forum/community software?

all I can think ATM

top needs
    ease of upgrading
    ease of 3rd party mods
    ease of styling
    security

questions
    how long does it take to get support
    length of license
    upgrade prices
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Needs: (Descending)
      1. Security
      2. Stability
      3. Response time to Security issues, as well as acknowledgement and disclosure
      4. Long-term Support (ie: maintaining support for a version after it's been superseded for 'x' time)
      5. Developer/Retailer professionalism, cosmetically and through actions

Questions: (Descending)
      1. What is the security history for this product?
      2. What is the release cycle like for this product?
      3. How long has this company/developer/retailer been around?
      4. What is the average reputation of this company/developer/retailer?
      5. Is my money being well spent (ROI)?
      - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

1. Scalability (how much work is it to make it able to serve 1,000+ page views per second or related high-volume issues?)
        2. Extensibility (how much work is it to make it do custom stuff?)
        3. Stability (how many bugs are there that affect me/my site?)
        4. Simplicity (how well the platform follow the KISS principle for both end users as well as staff? do I need to read a book to figure how how stuff works, or is it effortless because it's simply "how it should work"?)
        5. Polish (how much attention to detail is there within the platform? how much is existing functionality/technology constantly improved, or is it it stagnant because it's "good enough"?)
        Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
        Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
          1. Scalability (how much work is it to make it able to serve 1,000+ page views per second or related high-volume issues?)
          2. Extensibility (how much work is it to make it do custom stuff?)
          3. Stability (how many bugs are there that affect me/my site?)
          4. Simplicity (how well the platform follow the KISS principle for both end users as well as staff? do I need to read a book to figure how how stuff works, or is it effortless because it's simply "how it should work"?)
          5. Polish (how much attention to detail is there within the platform? how much is existing functionality/technology constantly improved, or is it it stagnant because it's "good enough"?)
          These are nice things to know but I can hardly agree that they are the Top 5 things potential new customers would need to get their head around from the get-go.

Comment

He asked what *your* top 5 needs are. No one's top 5 needs are going to be the same, those are just mine.
            Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
            Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

NEEDS

1. fast loading
              2. easy to use styles
              3. easy to install 3rd party mods
              4. friendly interactive staff members for support
              5. constant improvements on functionality

Questions

1. is it good value for money or can i do better for cheaper elsewhere?
              2. how quick is support?
              3. is there a clear pricing structure on future upgrades and discounts for existing customers?
              4. does it have good SEO?
              5. can i see what existing members are saying about this software or is it hidden from public view?

thanks
              russ

Comment

Needs:
                1. Scalability & performance.
                2. Extensive & fully integrated suite functionality. (integration in contrast to fragmented suite)
                3. Low issue (bugs & design flaws) count.
                4. Good content discovery: functions, site structure, notifications.
                5. Polish / Excellence in releases.

Questions:
                1. Is it modern enough to satisfy internet users for years to come?
                2. Can I expect the company to keep developing the software in a fast pace?
                3. Does the platform allow me to build drastic modifications & extension?
                4. Does the company implement important customer suggestions?
                5. Can I trust the company to behave ethically in the future?
                I buy 420 forums

Comment

Hi there

sounds like there's some experience developers on this thread. I was wondering if any of you offer custom skins and would be able to install my forum on my server for me.

I have a lot of web experience - mostly e-comm - but I'm not a developer. I don't have the time to skin and put this on my server. Please let me know if any of you are interested.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by McD View Post
                    I don't have the time to skin and put this on my server. Please let me know if any of you are interested.
                    On vB.org someone might be interested.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

I agree... It must be reliable, fast, high scalability as a prominent feature, user friendly and has privacy and security features.. We also need to know what is the purpose of the forum? why do we need it? How many person will be using it? What would be the subject? Is this for corporate use?

Comment

Need:
                        1. Working CMS (Well better thought out) think work-flow, articles in multiple sections, Custom Content Types etc etc
                        2. Stability
                        3. CSS3 and HTML5 (fully supported) and CSS full CSS not how its now because Cascading is not used well in vBulletin 4 at the moment.
                        4. Gallery
                        5. Faster implementation of new features/improvement and bug fixes.

Questions:
                        1. When do we see good documentation (API, MAPI etc)
                        2. Is vBulletin going to lead again in development instead what happened in these two years only bug fixes and not major improvements.
                        3. RIO must be better then its now.

Comment

Needs

1. Support
                          2. Code Quality
                          3. Bug Backlog
                          4. Features
                          5. Price

Questions

1. Are the existing clients happy?
                          2. Are updates timely and complete?
                          3. Does the company appear stable?
                          4. Do they have a vision for the market?
                          5. Are they working towards that vision consistently?

Comment

Needs:
                            1. Speed - Across the board in all functions, frond end and back end. The faster, the better.
                            2. Very easy to use - Across the board in all functions from an end user point of view too an advance administrator. Offering the least amount of questions & confusion.
                            3. Price - Affordable enough so even "john doe" can purchase the full package without breaking the bank.
                            4. Security - Nothing is 100% hack proof, but if it can take a small & mild attack by Anonymous, you're in the right direction.
                            5. Featured compatibility - Don't give me that Xenforo line... I want options and features, but I also want (need) them to be compatible to universal standards, modern, and stable.

Questions:
                            1. How affordable is this to maintain long term? --- If I have to shell out arms and legs to maintain it directly or through 3rd party... We have issues.
                            2. What are the requirements? --- Less is more. "John doe" may not have the newest server.
                            3. How easy is this to customize (modifications AND style) long term? --- If the developer keeps changing things or have made it hard for 3rd parties to use or keep up with them... We have problems.
                            4. How easy is this to maintain long term? --- The collective of the first 3 questions
                            5. How active is the product development from within the company and outside 3rd parties & how long term will it last? --- This is determined by the collective of the last 4 questions

Comment

Top Needs:

1)Company focus and priorities on a single product. Too many products means less priorities & focus on core.
                              2)Performance, speed; CSS sprites, no bloated features, CSS validation etc...
                              3)Modern, useful & innovative features that are simple but make a difference.
                              4)Easier Styling.
                              5)Fully documented features and advance tutorials to demonstrate the possibilities and to educate the common webmaster of the particular software.

Questions;

1)Does the product have a road map?
                              2)Why should I choose your product?
                              3)What are your customer satisfaction rates?
                              4)What is the company's policy, aims and objectives?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X