Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vb Performance Question

Hi Forum,

I used to use vb about 5 years ago, but ran into performance issues. I just wondered now if there was a way around the particular problem I had at the time in new versions.

We have a group of website that are 200 domains of all of the Greek Islands.Each of those domains contains information to about 1000 resorts in Greece, that each needed to have 5 forums. So our requirements was to run about 5000 forums with the same user database. Also at the time we were getting about 25,000 posts / reply's a month. Within 6 months the forums clicks became a bit click sticky. I had a really good pair of load balanced servers, so I don't think the server was the issue.

What I needed to do at the time was to split the forum tables and share the user tables across the application, but ran into licencing issues. I ran once instance of VB on a single domain, which I need to do to comply with the licence agreement.

I was thinking about using VB again and upgrading it to the new version.

Is there any information that shows performance Vs Number of forums, or any way to split the forums database tables, or licence options available to support this.

Graham
    Last edited by GreeceMonkey; Tue 12 Nov '13, 12:15am. Reason: added tags

If the forums have unique domains and/or unique content you would require a license for each one regardless of whether you separate out the user database or not.

There is no supported means to share a user database amongst multiple forums, the same old tricks however usually do work- as they are custom coding they are unsupported. There are a couple mods on vBulletin.org that offer from sharing options but all still require the proper number of licenses.
    Last edited by Joe D.; Tue 12 Nov '13, 4:46am.

Comment

Originally posted by GreeceMonkey View Post
      We have a group of website that are 200 domains of all of the Greek Islands.Each of those domains contains information to about 1000 resorts in Greece, that each needed to have 5 forums. So our requirements was to run about 5000 forums with the same user database. Also at the time we were getting about 25,000 posts / reply's a month. Within 6 months the forums clicks became a bit click sticky. I had a really good pair of load balanced servers, so I don't think the server was the issue.
      You've already identified the issue. 25,000 posts per month is not that much. 5,000 forums though, will bring a server to its knees. 25,000 posts a month in 5,000 forums means each forum only gets FIVE posts a month or less than 1 post a week. A forum that gets less than 1 post per week should be closed/merged.

I would reconsider having ONE forum for each of the 1,000 resorts, and using Prefixes or Tags to handle categorization. Even better, break down by region.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X