Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MyBB, Changing domain name and why do so many want to downgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyBB, Changing domain name and why do so many want to downgrade?

Hi All just a couple of questions before I lash out on a license...

1. The MyBB forum I currently have is classed as Tier 2 in the manual. What limitations do Tier 2 boards have when it comes to converting to VB4? Can staff assist me with clearing out spam posts and accounts which there are thousands of?

2. If I purchase a license and one day decide to change the domain name would I have to purchase a new license? The reason I ask is because my current domain is .org and I hope to one day get a better .com name.

3. Why do people want to downgrade from 4 to 3? This makes me wary about purchasing v4. https://www.google.com/search?q=vbul...wngrade-4-to-3

Thanks in advance,
    Kratos
    Last edited by kra7os; Sun 13th Nov '11, 4:38am.

Originally posted by kra7os View Post
    Can staff assist me with clearing out spam posts and accounts which there are thousands of?
    Unfortunately they won't.
    You have to protect your board,so spambots cannot register.

2. If I purchase a license and one day decide to change the domain name would I have to purchase a new license? The reason I ask is because my current domain is .org and I hope to one day get a better .com name.
    You can change the domain name for your licence any time in the members area.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

3. Why do people want to downgrade from 4 to 3? This makes me wary about purchasing v4. https://www.google.com/search?q=vbul...wngrade-4-to-3

Thanks in advance,
      Kratos
      When version 4 was initially released a couple years ago, it had some bugs to work out. It's been a very solid product now for some time now.

Comment

Hi All just a couple of questions before I lash out on a license...

1. The MyBB forum I currently have is classed as Tier 2 in the manual. What limitations do Tier 2 boards have when it comes to converting to VB4? Can staff assist me with clearing out spam posts and accounts which there are thousands of?

Thanks in advance,
        Kratos
        1. You can use a plugin for spam

2. No, You can change the domain name for your licence any time in the members area.

Comment

1. I think people misread your question. It sounds like you have a lot of EXISTING spam posts and bogus registrations. vBulletin has some good tools to search for users and posts and change them to a different group or delete them based on certain parameters.

Once you get vBulletin setup, there are some things you can do to virtually eliminate spam. Part of this is setting up another Usergroup, and part of this is installing a spam plugin or two. Installing plugins to vBulletin is dead easy.

One of the realities of vBulletin 3 vs. vBulletin 4 is there are a LOT more custom styles/skins for vBulletin 3. vBulletin 4 is a transitional product and creating styles for it is a LOT harder. If you intend to use vBulletin mostly how it looks, with just some color changes and slapping your own logo up there, then don't worry about it. Also, if you need a CMS/front page, I'd say go for Wordpress. The blog/cms in vBulletin is... lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
            One of the realities of vBulletin 3 vs. vBulletin 4 is there are a LOT more custom styles/skins for vBulletin 3. vBulletin 4 is a transitional product and creating styles for it is a LOT harder. If you intend to use vBulletin mostly how it looks, with just some color changes and slapping your own logo up there, then don't worry about it. Also, if you need a CMS/front page, I'd say go for Wordpress. The blog/cms in vBulletin is... lacking.
            I think the forums comes with a CMS/Blog. Thats why they made one them selfs!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X