Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to rescue an old 3.0.2 installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to rescue an old 3.0.2 installation?

Any magic solutions from salvaging my hacked-to-death vb 3.0.2 forum data into a new copy of whatever the latest is?

Don't care about all the hacks, just get the posts and threads. Start over with a forum only.

Very little time for this, hoping to farm it out...

Thanks for any suggestions

Are you saying your database is corrupt ??

You may upgrade easily to vb 4.1.x to vb 3.x series.

Comment

No, nothing wrong with the database.
      No, I don't find the upgrade easy.
      I get to 3.0.7 okay (put a paperweight on the enter key), then I have to move to a box with php5.
      Then... I forget, it's been a while. Crapped out somewhere in the high 3 series.

Are you saying 4.x will upgrade from 3.0.2?
      Where does the php 4 to 5 crossover take place?
      If I buy 4.x for my php5 box, will it suck in my vb3.0.2 data without having to run it on a php4 box first ?
      Will the latest forum software convert from older without having to run the old site?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Steward View Post
        No, nothing wrong with the database.
        No, I don't find the upgrade easy.
        I get to 3.0.7 okay (put a paperweight on the enter key), then I have to move to a box with php5.
        Then... I forget, it's been a while. Crapped out somewhere in the high 3 series.

Are you saying 4.x will upgrade from 3.0.2?
        Where does the php 4 to 5 crossover take place?
        If I buy 4.x for my php5 box, will it suck in my vb3.0.2 data without having to run it on a php4 box first ?
        Will the latest forum software convert from older without having to run the old site?

Cheers
        Okay am kinda confused now....

- Are you trying to upgrade to vb3.8.7 ?
        - Do you own a vb4 license ?
        - Uhh the installation does not change your php version, it is set by your server.. if unsure ask your host which php version they using (i doubt anyone is still using php4 anyways)
        - No... your upgrade won't be stuck if you try it directly on php5.

I would recommend you 1st upgrade till vb3.8.7 and once you reach there.. then decide if you wish to upgrade to vb4 or not. If you do decide to upgrade you can follow the guide here:
        https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...your-4-0-Forum

Comment

So if I buy a new license for the latest, dump the old database and reload it to a php5 box , it will run through all the upgrades from 3.0.2 to current (under php5)?

I take it from your answer the php crossover takes place at version 3.8.7

Are old installations required to upgrade to 3.8.7 under php4 first, then move the database to a php5 box and continue upgrading to the latest?

Or can I dump the old database and run a fresh install, losing all templates and customizations but getting forum daaa back in a latest copy of vb4x?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a license for 4. That is all.

Comment

1) Buy a VB4 license.

2) Download VB 3.8.7 (you can do this with the VB4 license)

3) Upgrade 3.0.2 to 3.87

4) Download 4.1.7 (most recent version)

5) Upgrade to 4.1.7

Comment

Originally posted by Steward View Post
              So if I buy a new license for the latest, dump the old database and reload it to a php5 box , it will run through all the upgrades from 3.0.2 to current (under php5)?

I take it from your answer the php crossover takes place at version 3.8.7

Are old installations required to upgrade to 3.8.7 under php4 first, then move the database to a php5 box and continue upgrading to the latest?

Or can I dump the old database and run a fresh install, losing all templates and customizations but getting forum daaa back in a latest copy of vb4x?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a license for 4. That is all.
              - Move your site to the php5 host
              - Upgrade to vb 3.8.7
              - If needed upgrade to vb 4.1.7

Comment