X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presales question

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a website from someone and they are running vB 3.6.8 on the message board side of the website. I have a couple questions about what I can see/do as an admin (and what the existing admin can do if I keep him on as a backup)

1. If a user edits (admin included) edits a post, can I still locate the original posted content?

2. If I or one of the other admins does a physical deletion of a post or a thread (not a soft delete) is it recoverable if I want to get it back later?

Thanks

Physical deletion is forever, there is no recovery.

As an Admin they could change the option at any time on whether or not to keep a backup copy of an edited post.

You must have 100% complete trust in anyone you make/keep as an Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by RonJon View Post
      Hi,

I am looking to purchase a website from someone and they are running vB 3.6.8 on the message board side of the website. I have a couple questions about what I can see/do as an admin (and what the existing admin can do if I keep him on as a backup)

1. If a user edits (admin included) edits a post, can I still locate the original posted content?
      Once you upgrade to 3.8.7, you can turn on Post Edit History so that a historical record of every edit is preserved.

Originally posted by RonJon View Post
      2. If I or one of the other admins does a physical deletion of a post or a thread (not a soft delete) is it recoverable if I want to get it back later?
      No. You should completely disable all physical deletion of posts. Only "soft" deletes should be permitted. As a result, you always have a history that you can go back to. Most forum operators create one or more "Recycle Bin" or "Dead Thread" subforums for the purpose of housing "deleted" or spam threads.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. So just a couple follow ups:

1. Re: Post Edit History. Is there not a plugin I could get for 3.8.6? Do I definitely need to upgrade?

2. Let's say something is fully deleted (I like to have the option available), a) is it easy to restore from a past backup and get that information back b) would I get a notice if one of the other admins did this?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi

1. There is no plugin...it's core functionality but you would need to upgrade.

2. If a post is physically deleted, it's gone. It is not that easy to restore just individual posts from backups, you would need to restore the entire backup which would in turn remove any posts made since.

In short, don't grant this permission to people you do not trust to use it.

Beyond this, we cannot really provide further support until you are a license holder.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thank you for your replies re post edit history

Just one final question for clarity on the deletion issue. In the event that I do decide to grant full permissions to a couple other people, is there any sort of log in the Admin Control panel, where if they physically delete threads, I can see what they did?

Comment

There is an admin log yes.
              As stated previously, we cannot provide further support until you have a license, so I will close the topic.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X