Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In-depth, back-end, coding customization.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zalta1982
    replied
    Originally posted by wisnoskij View Post
    vBulletin being a paid for service I am worried that it would be too locked down for my uses. I saw that they actually charge money to remove the vBulletin logo, which would imply the the code based is locked down and customizable, and that their are some things that I simply cannot change/customize.

vBulletin is known for having more options/customizable than phpbb, but I am worried that this comes at the price of the depth of customizatibility. For example, I need the ability to add my own user control panel pages/(general pages) with their own custom form/input submital, interact with external databases, brew up my own completely custom HTML pages with custom php/html variables (phpbb way <html>Your variable is equal to: {MY_VARIABLE_NAME}</html>).

For example in phpBB they have:
    "<br />{CREDIT_LINE}" I can remove or change it, and it is gone or changed to anything I want it to say.

But in vBulletin, I assume it is simply not possible to remove the credit line, since it costs hundreds of dollars to do so. And locked down code, means a huge lack of customizability.
    OM*G, why does a error pop up every time I try to do anything with this garbage forum.

Thank you for explaining that Joe, that put a lot of my worries aside. But if I cannot even use the forum software as a user, there is no way I will admin it.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    We use special usergroups on this site for unlicensed members, it is likely your usergroup does not have permission to "Like" posts- however you are correct the error messages could be better, there are a number of known bugs relating to error messages due to be fixed in upcoming versions.

Leave a comment:

• wisnoskij
    replied
    That does not explain why your forum is telling me that my "response (read post) [is] empty" and them submitting my post anyways, or "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page" when I try to like a reply.

I do not want to be any further rude, but your error messages could be less incorrect, and more helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Your posts are being flagged for moderation, something about your name, email, etc is tripping our spam system up.

Leave a comment:

• wisnoskij
    replied
    OM*G, why does a error pop up every time I try to do anything with this garbage forum.

Thank you for explaining that Joe, that put a lot of my worries aside. But if I cannot even use the forum software as a user, there is no way I will admin it.

Leave a comment:

• wisnoskij
    replied
    So this did finally appear, I was getting error after error after error trying to submit it. The response is NOT empty.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    vBulletin code is fully visible and you are limited only by your own coding skills (and the license agreement) in terms of the changes you can make.

As part of the license agreement you agree to keep the "Powered by vBulletin" copyright notice. That is the only mandatory text that needs to be visible. To remove that requires a branding free license which is an additional couple-hundred dollars.

The logo image you are free to change, that does not require any additional purchase.

The only other limitation of the license agreement is you can't rent/resell one license to run multiple sites. 1 license = 1 site.

Leave a comment:

• wisnoskij
    started a topic In-depth, back-end, coding customization.

In-depth, back-end, coding customization.

vBulletin being a paid for service I am worried that it would be too locked down for my uses. I saw that they actually charge money to remove the vBulletin logo, which would imply the the code based is locked down and customizable, and that their are some things that I simply cannot change/customize.

vBulletin is known for having more options/customizable than phpbb, but I am worried that this comes at the price of the depth of customizatibility. For example, I need the ability to add my own user control panel pages/(general pages) with their own custom form/input submital, interact with external databases, brew up my own completely custom HTML pages with custom php/html variables (phpbb way <html>Your variable is equal to: {MY_VARIABLE_NAME}</html>).

For example in phpBB they have:
    "<br />{CREDIT_LINE}" I can remove or change it, and it is gone or changed to anything I want it to say.

But in vBulletin, I assume it is simply not possible to remove the credit line, since it costs hundreds of dollars to do so. And locked down code, means a huge lack of customizability.