Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB presale Q's

Hi,

We are looking for a PHP forum software solution. I have a few questions regarding vBulletin that I cannot answer from the documentation you provide on the site.

[1] If we would like to use vBulletin only as forum software only can we still use the latest (v5) or will that be a full website/CMS and is vB4 for forum use only?

[2] Is it possible to completely disable the Blog/CMS/etc and only use vB as a forum (in any version)?

[3] Does the mobile suite/addon already support vB5.0.4 or is that only for vB4.x?

[4] From a different PreSale question posted here this was mentioned:
    In addition to the $199 you pay us be aware you need to also spend money on Apple and Google developer accounts and will need access to a modern Mac computer to "sign" your iOS app.

link: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...r-mobile-suite
    The mobile suite allows us to have custom created vBulletin apps. Is there information available how that would work? Do we need to compile the apps ourselves (or have someone do it) and create the developper accounts like you mentioned there aswell?

[5] In the future we want to link the forum to a WordPress based website. Are there (on vB.org) mods/plugins available that would work with vB 5 or are those all unmaintained by now?

[6] We come from a ASP Forum system (ASP Playground). I am aware there is a some sort of migration support but that uses a live working installation. Our current forum is down due to a database issue, however the member tables are still complete/ok. Are there tools available to import (via a file/cvs) members (one time) into the vBulletin after installation and configuration?

[7] Since I am uncapable of finding a features comparison chart (and would prefer not to create 2 full demos and discover it all completely by myself) I thought I'd just ask: is there a quick list of differences between vB4 and vB5? From what I read in this forum vB4 contains more features, however since vB5 is released that must mean there are new features in there that aren't in vB4 . . . Am I just looking on the wrong places or does such a comparison not exist?

[8] If we would start off at vB4 now will there be tools available to migrate the installation to vB5connect later when the features are closer together, or in other words will an upgrade from 4.x to -> 5.0.x or even 5.1.x remain available?

1 ans 2) In VB4 you can completely disable Blogs and Articles (CMS), and in VB5 you can not give permission for users to use Blogs. Calling something "Forum Only" really depends on what your definition of forum is- some people consider Groups (social groups) a forum feature, some do not. Same with albums, visitor messages, etc... For the most part these can be disabled or permission removed from using them in both VB4 or VB5.

3) Mobile Suite supports VB 4.2.1 AND VB 5.0.4 and will continue to support 4.x and 5.x for the foreseeable future.

4) Mobile apps get "Built" from our website, you then download files, need to "Sign Them" and submit them to your developer accounts. You must create the accounts but we will give you the files.

5) At this time there is nothing on vBulletin.org to link VB5 and Wordpress, however there is at least one product available from a source other than vbulletin.org that claims to do this. I have never used it, and we do not support 3rd party software. There is at least 1 VB4 to Wordpress bridge on vbulletin.org.

6) We provide Impex, a free set of tools for importing, but they are only designed my MySQL systems, Impex will not run on ASP. There is a csv user import option, it will import usernames, emails, passwords (optional.) That is it- not posts or threads.

7) Better you do the demo and see what you really need. Main missing items are Calendars, External RSS feeds, CMS/Articles. Main VB5 feature VB4 doesn't have is "Site Builder" and a means to purchase a subscription at time of registration.

8) You will always be able to upgrade from 4.x to 5.x at a later date.

Comment

Hi Joe D. Thank you for your extensive reply. I looked at the server requirements and wondered about one more thing:

I noticed that in the MySQL DB space section it is mentioned that due to attachments etc this can grow quite heavily. Are there options to save attachments (and maybe album fotos) to disc instead of have them in the database? Or otherwise to a CDN?

Comment

Hi Joe D.

And are you guys aware that using the interface in Chrome (latest) will popup a "empty response" when you post a reply (using the quick reply)?

Comment

Hi Joe D.,

Thank you for your quick reply! Since I have no clue if my posts came through or not I will try it again via the preview/post method since that will not cause an error.

[1] Are you aware that using the 'quick reply' on the bottom will generate an "empty response" popup and there is no way to tell if the post came through? I am not sure if this is all heavily moderated but I cant tell at all ...

[2] I looked at the server specs section in the important-do-read topic (pinned on top). For now I think (mainly due to mods available for v4) will start of with vB4.

[2a] The server spec section mentions PHP 5.2.6 or later. Is PHP 5.4 supported?
          [2b] The specs also mention that MySQL DB size is important. Are there options available to store attachments and/or avatars and/or album-photos in the server instead of the database? Or somewhere on a CDN?

[3] You mentioned Impex can import from CVS/TXT which will be fine, there is no point to attempt to run it on the ASP server. May I assume that next to user/email all other information is lost based on your comment on this? Passwords will obviously will need to be reset (all fine) but eg Full/Real Name, usergroup etc .. all gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo55 View Post
            [2] I looked at the server specs section in the important-do-read topic (pinned on top). For now I think (mainly due to mods available for v4) will start of with vB4.

[2a] The server spec section mentions PHP 5.2.6 or later. Is PHP 5.4 supported?
            No, it's not supported.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

4.2 does not currently support php5.4, however it will do so in a future release.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Hmm no 5.4, is 5.3.x supported or is it stuck at 5.2.x?

Comment

5.3 is fine.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo55 View Post
                    Hi Joe D. Thank you for your extensive reply. I looked at the server requirements and wondered about one more thing:

I noticed that in the MySQL DB space section it is mentioned that due to attachments etc this can grow quite heavily. Are there options to save attachments (and maybe album fotos) to disc instead of have them in the database? Or otherwise to a CDN?
                    Yes File Attachments can be stored in the file system instead of the database, in fact it would be recommended you move them to the file system for better performance.

As for the "empty response" I use Chrome myself so it isn't a widespread bug, may be related to our anti-spam checks we do on non-licensed customers, not sure- but you shouldn't see that on your own site or in the demos.

Comment

The CSV Importer only imports-
                      Username
                      Email Address
                      and optionally a clear text or MD5 Hashed password

Anything else would be lost.

Impex, like the rest of vBulletin, is visible source PHP so an experienced coder may be able to add additional fields, but we do not provide support for such customization.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                        Yes File Attachments can be stored in the file system instead of the database, in fact it would be recommended you move them to the file system for better performance.
                        Hi Joe,

Thanks again for the quick reply. I have been playing around in vB4 en vB5 demos:
                        - Regarding the attachments, if I set them to 'store on the server' will this stick and all (and new) attachments will be stored on the server, or is it more a maintanace thing I need to do manually once every x weeks?
                        - If Impex allows user/email they can reset their passwords themselves. Since the profile will be almost empty will they be prompted to complete it on first login or is that something we should urge them to do ourselves?

Comment

It could be me but you mentioned it is possible to completely disable the CMS/Blog, however I have been through the many options and cant seem to locate these settings .. .any chance you can help me find them?

Comment

It is a one-time change when moving attachments to the file system. Once you do it all old and future attachments will be created directly as files.

You can set custom fields of the profile to be "required" in these cases they will be required to fill them in before making other changes. However I do not believe it will force them to fill it in before using the software in general.

To disable the Blogs / CMS go to the Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Product Manager, find VB CMS product and choose "Disable" from the drop down menu.

Repeat for the VB Blogs product.

Only DISABLE, do not "UNINSTALL"

Comment