Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions while I'm taking the trial...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A few questions while I'm taking the trial...

    So hi, I'm looking at buying vb5 and so started the trial today...

    It looks nice so far but I want to know are there any limitations to the modification of the forum? Do you have to use that editor or is it okay to say edit in dreamweaver? Not that I don't like the editor, just curious...

    Also is the licence for life? Or is this a yearly thing?

    Is there any support included? If so are there any stipulations on that?

    Do you have any special offers on to entice me? lol

  • #2
    Your limited by your ability to code html/css/php/sql. You'll have full access to the source code. However we do not provide any support for code modifications or customizations.

    The license allows you to use the vBulletin 5 or older versions for as long as you like, assuming you do not break the license agreement.

    There are no special offers at this time outside of what you see going on, on the sales pages.

    Comment


    • #3
      Theoretically you can modify vB5 to any extent, it is all about time, ressources and skill. However, to setup a default forum like this one, vB5 gives you all the tools you need.

      It is a lifetime license. You don't have to pay for updates on vB5 and also vB4 and vB3 comes with this license. You can use either of those, as long as it is one installation only (a 2nd private installation for testing purposes is allowed). If there eventually will be vB6, then you have to pay again for vB6, but this doesn't affect vB5 (vB4, vB3).

      Forum support comes along with the license. Also a 30 day advanced ticket support is included I guess. After that period the advanced ticket support costs extra money, if you really need it.

      Special offers usually are announced here or on the sales page. Currently there are no offers available.

      Comment


      • #4
        To answer the Dreamweaver point, no you can't directly edit templates in Dreamweaver.
        vBulletin's templates involve code and variables that are specific to the product, which Dreamweaver would not understand.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
          To answer the Dreamweaver point, no you can't directly edit templates in Dreamweaver.
          vBulletin's templates involve code and variables that are specific to the product, which Dreamweaver would not understand.
          Thanks for the replies guys, that's all good to know!

          Can I just say during the trial something seems to be wrong... I can't seem to do much with the editor, most things I try it throws up an error, for example I just tried uploading a logo, it just says "error uploading logo, please try again."... I have tried it as png and gif, are these formats not acceptable?

          Also some of the tabs just don't work, like I click on them but nothing happens...

          Probably me just being thick lol

          On the dreamweaver point... oh... But you can make pages and place them into the templates I suppose?

          Comment


          • #6
            Having real problems posting on here too, keeps giving me errors! lol.... Not really the best advert, but no doubt it is something my end?

            Comment


            • OhioDave
              OhioDave commented
              Editing a comment
              No, it's not.

              Go read the reviews for vBulletin 5 before you make any decisions. We don't need any more posts in the licensed customer feedback forum about people being lied to, cheated, and wanting refunds they aren't going to get.

              Thanks.

          • #7
            Yep, forget Dreamweaver....
            Buy the license, it lasts forever.....
            Support is here......

            Get yourself acquainted with Firebug and find yourself a decent text editor Notepad ++ is good for me...

            Also, since the license grants you access to other versions of vBulletin, get acquainted with them too....

            Quite a choice really but, as with anything software based, there is a learning curve.....

            Good luck.........


            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by snaz32 View Post
              Having real problems posting on here too, keeps giving me errors! lol.... Not really the best advert, but no doubt it is something my end?
              Until you are licensed your posts are submitted for approval - currently this generates an incorrect error but the post does still go through.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

              TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by snaz32 View Post

                Thanks for the replies guys, that's all good to know!

                Can I just say during the trial something seems to be wrong... I can't seem to do much with the editor, most things I try it throws up an error, for example I just tried uploading a logo, it just says "error uploading logo, please try again."... I have tried it as png and gif, are these formats not acceptable?

                Also some of the tabs just don't work, like I click on them but nothing happens...

                Probably me just being thick lol

                On the dreamweaver point... oh... But you can make pages and place them into the templates I suppose?
                Regarding the demo, please send an email to support at vbulletin dot com with the details and we'll have someone take a look.

                Dreamweaver - you can use it like that in theory but you will run into problems with css classes, variables and the like. vBulletin isn't designed to work this way so whilst you may have some success creating specific pieces of html this way, it isn't a practical means to edit whole pages and simply pasting code generated by Dreamweaver into a vB template MAY have unpredictable results. Certainly we couldn't support this, but if you're comfortable with html you should be able to adapt it successfully.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by snaz32 View Post

                  Is there any support included? If so are there any stipulations on that?
                  You get 30 days of ticket support that starts when you download the software for the first time I believe.

                  After that, you have to rely on the forums here for support.

                  Have a look around the support forums to see if it will meet your needs or not: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...roubleshooting

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I have been busy with the kids do not had time to reply until now...

                    So it seems not everyone is happy with vB5 then... Oh dear... Is it really that bad?

                    I think not having dreamweaver at all would leave me feeling a little restricted, but it would save me money! lol

                    I understand that the forum is very complicated and that minor adjustments could have dire consequences...

                    I will do some more research and see what is available...

                    This is in short what I want.... Forum with ranking system that unlocks certain areas or features as they progress... I would like to generate whole pages or rather a website within the forum (if you get my meaning). I have seen that this is possible, there is a guide I'm sure...

                    I want to be able to add widgets such as tickers and things like poker.

                    I need to be able to tweak these slightly, things like change the name of the currency being used in poker or to have the currency amount stored in a database...

                    How achievable is this with your software?

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Well I have had a look around and I see that what I want is very achievable through modding...

                      If vB5 is having problems though I may stick with vB4... Is that sold as a stand alone product?

                      Nevermind, I'll go take a look, lol...

                      Oh btw still can't upload and I will send an email when I get the time. Working my way round the menus now though, the options look nice and the mods bring even more options which is great, some have really inspired me.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Whether you end up using VB4 or VB5 you buy a VB5 license, it is all we sell now and you can download VB4 Suite instead.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by snaz32 View Post
                          Well I have had a look around and I see that what I want is very achievable through modding...

                          If vB5 is having problems though I may stick with vB4... Is that sold as a stand alone product?

                          Nevermind, I'll go take a look, lol...

                          Oh btw still can't upload and I will send an email when I get the time. Working my way round the menus now though, the options look nice and the mods bring even more options which is great, some have really inspired me.
                          For all the extras that you have mentioned, vB 4.2.1 is truly your best option...There are literally hundreds of mods and tweaks etc...And yes, it is inspiring...
                          And the license you buy will allow you to explore the further possibilities in the vB range...
                          As of this moment, 5 is not your best option...


                          Comment

                          Related Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X