Advice for a forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a forum

i am thinking of setting up a new project with no previous forum experience i do not have any servers but just a basic home computer.

For now i want one forum under one domain but eventually i will create more forums for different regions.

please can you tell me what package i require and how to set it up.
    i require this forum to work on most mobile phones.

honest advice please

thanks
    purw

You would most like want to purchase the Forum Classic with Mobile Suite. The caveat here is that it only includes 30 days of ticket support. After that 30 days, you can buy a year of ticket support for $80.00.

Before you get started developing your own message board, the first thing I recommend is using our vBulletin demo to get familiar with everything it takes to run a message board. It can be a complex task, and you need to be sure you're ready to tackle it.

You can set one up for your own use from this page:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

The demo is active for 24 hours. If you feel you need more time, reply to this ticket with the DemoID and ask for an extension.

You will also want to use our manual as a reference while learning the controls. The manual can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

It covers most of the basic controls for operation of the software.

Once you have decided to purchase, there are 2 license choices (please note that these prices and policies are subject to change).

Suite License ($285 USD):
    The suite includes vBulletin Forums, Content Management System and Blogs. Upgrades and support are provided for the life of the version. Suite customers get access to forum and ticket support for the life of the version as well.

Forum License ($195 USD):
    The forum license includes vBulletin Forums. Purchasers of this license receive upgrades for the life of the version. You will also receive 30 days of ticket support and forum support for the life of the version.

You can order the software here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

You will also need webhosting and a domain name. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 5.2) and MySQL (minimum 4.1.0) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

You can purchase the domain name at the same time you contract hosting. Most credible hosts now support both PHP and MySQL, and can run our software. We do not make official recommendations, but we do have a hosting review forum here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

You can also look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com, an independent review site. Sometimes you will find hosting specials there that aren't available elsewhere on the web.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

this project will have 1 design of forum but for around 10 differnt city, so every city will have there own forum
      but yet they will all be under 1 domain name.

eg

person goes to main domain
      this shows a index of 10 cities

do i need to pay 1 licence for each forum/city?

thanks

Comment

You can setup any number of forums within the single installation like we have here. If you're using a custom page to list the cities, simply link each city to a particular sub-forum and this will be fine under a single license.
        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
        -
        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
        - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
        - "Quick Route" Interface...
        - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

if i can have 10 differnt forums with 1 installation same design layout of forum , under domain, how will your software split them from each other.
          can all forums be controlled by a single control panel
          whats the maximum number of forums permitted under 1 licence

For exmaple

someone registers on the forum ,i get to see how many new members have joined that day.
          someone has a problem and wants to report a abuse
          How to delay a thread/post to be authorised by me before it goes live

whats the maximum number of forums permitted under 1 licence.

Do you reccomend me hire a web/vb designer or perhaps i can set up myself or do you offer service.

iam sorry to ask such questions i just want to make sure i have a better understanding
          Last edited by PURW; Fri 7th Oct '11, 5:34am. Reason: repeat

Comment

Take a look at this site - you can see all the individual forums we run, this is allowed on a single license. It's only if you need to install more than one copy of the software that you will need more licenses.

All forums you create in a single installation are available via the Forum Manager - you can create as many as you need.

Why not try our live demo of the vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite, including full access to the admin control panel. You can set one up for your own use from this page (The demo is active for 24 hours. If you feel you need more time, send an email to [email protected] with the DemoID and ask for an extension.):

https://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

**Note that you will need to wait until the beginning of next week for this as we've closed the demo to new registrations temporarily to allow for it to be upgraded to the latest version

You can set an individual forum and/or usergroup to require that their posts/threads be moderated before public viewing. Again, you can see this in the Admin Control Panel when you create a demo.

You may also find our manual of use while you use the demo:

www.vbulletin.com/docs/html
            Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
            -
            *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
            - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
            - "Quick Route" Interface...
            - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

The term FORUM is used in a manner by all of us that appears confusing to new-comers.
              Forum is used to describe the website as a whole. While it's also used to describe the individual sections under each category.
              Under each category you can make as many forums as you like but I'd suggest not getting carried away too much.

Comment

my fancy paint skills, hopefully explaining setishock's point

Click image for larger version

Name:	vb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	3685610
                My Site: INFJs.com

Comment

Thanks for your responses

After some research i have decided that i am going to have buy 10 domains for each forum as i cant find a suitable master domain to make these 10 forums sit under.

so my next question is will this 1 installation still work for 10 forums with different domains or must i have 1 master domain then 10 different forums .

Comment

Originally posted by gilchristobin
                    whats the maximum number of forums permitted under 1 licence
                    1 installation.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X