New version or upgrade to vb 5 connect from 3.7.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version or upgrade to vb 5 connect from 3.7.4

Currently running v 3.7.4 on our website and are in the midst of working on an overhaul of the site which includes updating the outdated forum software. We would like to upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect with Mobile and I am wondering what would be the easiest method - buy the new package or the upgrade? Our plan is to import the database and re-install a select # of add-ons -- essentially a fresh start on the design and functionality end with the old data still there.

We will be moving the forum to a sub-directory while we set it up and allow the old one to run as it currently is.

Is there any pros and cons to the upgrade over the new install.

We will be importing our database from the old site as it has over 600,000 posts and 10,000+ members.

Any help/advice would be appreciate. Would like to purchase the new software ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

You can't import anything. You'd need to do a straight upgrade if you want to retain your old data. A new install won't allow you to bring over old data.

Comment

Thanks Zachery. I kind of thought that but wanted to double check. I will look at getting the upgrade package then.

Comment

Originally posted by Caltek View Post
        Currently running v 3.7.4 on our website and are in the midst of working on an overhaul of the site which includes updating the outdated forum software. We would like to upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect with Mobile
        An upgrade to 3.8.8 makes sense. An upgrade to 4.2.x makes sense. Moving a live, active community to vBulletin 5? I'd seriously do your homework first. And I don't mean reading the comments of negative nancies. I mean you should read the comments of vBulletin Support team members.

Our plan is to import the database and re-install a select # of add-ons -- essentially a fresh start on the design and functionality end with the old data still there.
        You could do this with Impex but it's strongly discouraged. All your threadids, postids, and userids will change and importing would lose ALL the data from your addons. It would only copy over the basic forum data.

We will be moving the forum to a sub-directory while we set it up and allow the old one to run as it currently is.
        I would clone your vB3 database and do the upgrade testing on that clone in a subdirectory, all without touching the live DB. You'll be able to see which approach (and which version of vBulletin) makes the most sense. Buying vB5 entitles you to all versions of vB3.x, 4.x, and 5.x.

Once you have a good working setup, then you can bring your old forum down, do the migration in-situ, and bring it back up, and then export/import any styles you created under vB3.8 or vB4 test site and add them to your vB3.8 or vB4 live site.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
          Currently running v 3.7.4 on our website and are in the midst of working on an overhaul of the site which includes updating the outdated forum software. We would like to upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect with Mobile
          An upgrade to 3.8.8 makes sense. An upgrade to 4.2.x makes sense. Moving a live, active community to vBulletin 5? I'd seriously do your homework first. And I don't mean reading the comments of negative nancies. I mean you should read the comments of vBulletin Support team members.
          I don't think "negative nancy" applies to me. If anything I'm neutral. I'm presently running vB4 but I would also be interested in running vB5 IF it worked on a mobile device and it's specifically mobile capability that attracts me. However, without the replacement for the vB4 content management system and without the calendar I can't use it. Pointless having a mobile site that can't display the content that you want.

I'm also not convinced that vB5 is working yet, partly because of my experiences trying to post on vBulletin.com. vB4 does work and it displays perfectly well on my iPad and my daughter's android tablet.

PS: The only issue we have on a tablet, e.g. an iPad, is that if you are using the vB4 advertising manager and you have ads in both positions at the top of the page, then occasionally when displaying on a tablet the images will partially obscure the toplinks. So if you are displaying ads in the top positions you need to test first.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. I am going to try the 4.2.1 upgrade and see how that works. V 5 is giving me some headaches at the moment.

Comment