PHPBB3 -> VBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHPBB3 -> VBulletin

My club forums use PHPBB3 right now and I'm thinking about purchasing a VB forum license. I run no modifications in the phpbb software now. My question is will posts, members, etc. all transfer over to the Vbulletin forum if I decide to go that way? I don't want to lose everything we have now just to switch forum software. I know VB is top notch so hopefully this will be possible!

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_phpBB3

Comment

thanks - i have 3.0.9 so it doesn't look good

Comment

I assume it would work on 3.0.9, the database structure usually isn't changed in minor versions, at least not enough to break importers.

Comment

OK that's cool. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Forums, Threads, Posts, Attachments, and most (but not all) Avatars come over.

Passwords and Forum/User/Moderator Permissions don't.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
              Forums, Threads, Posts, Attachments, and most (but not all) Avatars come over.

Passwords and Forum/User/Moderator Permissions don't.
              What happens when registered members come to the new vBulletin after the change if their passwords are not transferred? How do they get in?

Comment

They need to request a password reset. It's a pain in the ass.

Comment

So when they come to new forum, the forum will do the password reset?

Comment

Eagle-Mark,

They won't be able to login with their old password. They'll just get error messages.

You will want to send a mass e-mail to your forum members telling them that they need to reset their password (include the link!). You will probably also want to use the Notices feature to display a brief message at the top of your forum like:

We've successfully migrated to the new forum software!! As far as we can tell, everything's been preserved in the upgrade. As part of the migration, you'll need to reset your password the first time you login. Also you may need to reupload your Avatar. Please check out this thread for other comments about the upgrade and please don't hesitate to e-mail us if you have any problems!
                    (those links are just examples)

If your users are fairly computer savvy, then it will be fairly painless (despite Nashy's admonishment). If your computers are mostly neophytes, then prepare for an onslaught of confused e-mails.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X