Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to edit/develop VB5 on the host without releasing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to edit/develop VB5 on the host without releasing it?

I am currently running a phpBB forum and would like to upgrade to VB5. I would want my phpBB forum to keep running while I designed, modded and developed my VB5 forum ready for use to replace the phpBB forum.

In terms of hosting or other options, is there anyway to edit and develop a live version of VB5 while keeping my phpBB forum active until the VB5 forum is ready? So I would want to be able to access my admin panel, see what design tweaks look like, etc.

Thanks.

There's no inherent reason you can't install 2 forums on 1 website. You would use a different folder for your VB5 install... You can use Impex to import a copy of the original database into VB5, work on it, and then when you are ready save your custom styles, save your custom products, re-install VB5 and, re-import your old forum data (newer now) and then re-import your saved styles and modifications. This time around if you want you can have VB5 installed in the same directory as the original forum but old/saved links won't work anyway so it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
      There's no inherent reason you can't install 2 forums on 1 website. You would use a different folder for your VB5 install... You can use Impex to import a copy of the original database into VB5, work on it, and then when you are ready save your custom styles, save your custom products, re-install VB5 and, re-import your old forum data (newer now) and then re-import your saved styles and modifications. This time around if you want you can have VB5 installed in the same directory as the original forum but old/saved links won't work anyway so it really doesn't matter.
      Thanks for your reply.

Also, although I love VB5, I am a bit concerned about that the fact that it is in early development. If I were to develop and design a VB4 forum, would it be difficult to transfer that design to a VB5 forum? So if I edited all the boxes, headings, modded it heavily, etc. - would this be easily transferable to VB5?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X