Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a directory software with VBulletin also?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a directory software with VBulletin also?

I have a VBulletin forum (hookah related). On the same site I have a directory software that lists hookah lounges around the country.

I would love it if VBulletin had something that I could use to list the hookah lounges around the country, then users could comment about the lounges, post pictures, etc.

I also run PhotPost on the same site so maybe there is a chance of integrating that as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish that or is there already a VBulletin integrated directory software?

Thanks
    @heydarian

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=255319The best option for full integration remains vBadvanced's Link directory. Though it's not free, it's pretty much unparalleled. The support is about the best you can get in the vB community and it's features should satisfy most of your directory requirements. It can't really compare to stand-alone scripts such as phpld, IndexU, etc. in terms of marketing and advertising options, or import/export tools, but it's pretty much the best we've got.

There are some bridges available for some of the stand-alones but that's another can of worms. I'd also recommend anorher very full-featured one on vBulletin.oeg called Link Directory thay could give vBadvanced's a run for it's money eventually.

Your choices are limited but that kind of makes your decisions simpler.

EDIT: I posted the above via my wife's mobile, so I didn't get around to providing any links.

Here's the vBulletin Link Directory on vbulletin.org. It's free, but appears to be abandoned now. You could always install it to experiment though.

Here's vBadvanced Link Directory. That should handle whatever you throw at it.

(If you haven't already, you should also check out vBadvanced CMPS, which is indispensable and probably the most useful and flexible add-on for vBulletin. It's a free portal system with some CMS features that goes beyond mere homepages and fills in the gaps that are rife in the suite's stock CMS. Run the two and you have a useful CMS system.)
    Last edited by Arkham; Mon 29 Aug '11, 6:37am.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm running phpLD right now but the VBAdvance directory definitely seems interesting.
      @heydarian

Comment

Originally posted by nima6 View Post
        Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm running phpLD right now but the VBAdvance directory definitely seems interesting.
        vBa Links now finally offers a basic import tool, to my knowledge. It imports a list of URLs and grabs the sites' metadata. I don't think there's much more than that, though, so your existing descriptions and category structure wouldn't be imported. phpLD has custom programmers available to assist with things like that, but they charge $45/hr and invariably quote everything that I've seen at "a couple of hours or more", but it might be worth it.

They have an existing vBulletin bridge, but I'm not sure how well it works with 4.x versions of vBulletin these days. When I've asked them, they did offer to look into helping to integrate the users/logins, but again that would require custom programming and the added cost. I haven't entirely ruled them out, as I'm in no rush at the moment to make a decision, but if you have an existing phpLD installation it might be worth investigating.

Good luck, and please keep us posted. A 'Links" custom content type for vBulletin is highly desired, I'm sure, by many of us. But until that aspect of vBulletin materializes, you''re better off going about it with an existing framework, be it an integratable stand-alone or native add-on.

Comment

I might actually look into getting someone to program something solid from scratch and then release it on VBulletin.org as an addon. That will probably take at least a few months if not more.
          @heydarian

Comment

Originally posted by nima6 View Post
            I might actually look into getting someone to program something solid from scratch and then release it on VBulletin.org as an addon. That will probably take at least a few months if not more.
            Quite the endeavour, but I would love to see the result. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X