Question about the pricing of vbulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the pricing of vbulletin

Why is it so expensive to purchase a vBulletin message board ?

​I goto other places like this and their message boards don't cost as much as this, I was just wondering why is that ?

James

The reason is that they give you the full suite for the same price (forum, CMS and blog) and you get free updates for the entire life of the series, you don't have to renew your license every 6 months or every year like with other companies.

Personally, when I bought my vB4 license I thought this was a very good deal, but after not getting an update for almost a year and if we're lucky we'll get up to vB 4.3 (when vB3 went to 3.8.7), I've changed my mind. I think if IB hadn't implemented this pricing model and they had stuck with the normal license renewal system, we wouldn't have a half-baked product like vB5C in the market right now, not to mention that not everybody wants a CMS and a blog, I don't.

They should sell forum licenses with 1 year of free updates and sell the blog and CMS as add-ons, of course this won't happen.

Comment

To be fair, VB 3.x went from 3.0 directly to 3.5, with nothing in-between. We could arbitrarily call VB 4.3 VB 4.8, it doesn't make it any better.

Comment

Yes, but vB3 was developed for 7 years. vB4 was developed for 2 and a half years (not counting the last year which hasn't seen any new releases). I know development will continue, but I don't think it will for more than the rest of the year, considering how much work vB5C requires.

Comment

Originally posted by The Crow View Post
          Yes, but vB3 was developed for 7 years. vB4 was developed for 2 and a half years (not counting the last year which hasn't seen any new releases). I know development will continue, but I don't think it will for more than the rest of the year, considering how much work vB5C requires.
          And the amount of money paid to keep a VB3 licence up to date for those 7 years is more than $250. Basically what happened with VB 3.x has no real bearing on VB4 or VB5 because of the different fee structure.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X