Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MY old Vbulletin Got hacked... whats not to stop it from being done again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY old Vbulletin Got hacked... whats not to stop it from being done again!

I paid my licence for my Old forum.. some twink hacked it... what is the benefit of getting a new licence? How do I know you guys just don't release the hacks to make us upgrade.... You don't tell us how to FIX your product.....so what do I do... ? www.xplornetsucks.com

The question is how did the site get hacked? Was it an insecure mod,bad 3rd party coding or was it accessed via the server?

vB patch all vulnerabilities as they are found just like any other software, 99% of hacks are caused by lax security , poor passwords and bad 3rd party additions.

There is plenty of information and input here on keeping safe and support most certainly do assist people with security issues if asked in the right manner.

Comment

According to my host... it was done through poor coding..I guess they got on youtube and hacked the site through that vbulletin 3.6.8

Stupid hack.. but can't figure out how to get the site back up without a reinstall..

Originally posted by AdrianH View Post
      The question is how did the site get hacked? Was it an insecure mod,bad 3rd party coding or was it accessed via the server?

vB patch all vulnerabilities as they are found just like any other software, 99% of hacks are caused by lax security , poor passwords and bad 3rd party additions.

There is plenty of information and input here on keeping safe and support most certainly do assist people with security issues if asked in the right manner.

Comment

Without specifics "poor coding" is no explanation at all. Just as I could blame it on "poor hosting". Without details it's just buck-passing. Should upgrade to 3.8.

Comment

We release frequent updates and if necessary security patches so that customers can maintain their sites. 3.6.8 is about 4 years old now and used different programming techniques as well as having its fair share of bugs. At the time of purchase, you had to pay an annual fee of $40-60 to maintain access to these updates. Today, you just need to purchase the software and it includes all updates within that version. If you upgraded your license, you would be able to upgrade to 3.8.7 PL1 which has hundreds of bug fixes, security updates and some new functionality or to 4.1.5 PL1 which provides even more.

In addition to this, you would get support so we can determine what the vector of entry was for hacking, how to resolve the issue. I can tell you though with 3.6.8, you would have to upgrade. It is a wonder it is still even running on a modern hosting platform as it isn't compatible with newer versions of PHP.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Where I would start,
            I would start by getting rid of the we were hacked message and replace it with down for upgrades or something to that nature. Then start working on getting the forum back. When we were hacked back in May, we just uploaded all the files via FTP overwriting everything and also re-wrote the config.php. Come to find out a few days later we only needed to overwrite the index.php...

As for how to stop it, and bad code, the bad coding could be the fact that the code is old, (and easy to hack) or could be an old plugin like youtube (that's easy to hack). For how to stop it, the best answer is upgrade, although that costs $$$, next to that is make it as secure as possible, if it was done through a bad code (so say the host) they can tell you that code. Maybe it can be eliminated.
            www.cdmagurus.com
            www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X