Complete newby please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete newby please help

Hi there, I want to start an online community and think I will go with V-Bulletin for the forum software. However, I have no idea where to start.... I take it I register my domain name and then find a hosting company to host the domain name? Then how do I get V-Bulletin to work from there? Will I need to build up a whole website or this forum software will pretty much be the basis of my site (not sure if that makes any sense) I guess what im trying to say is for example bodybuilding.com uses V-Bulletin when I go to that address is all of that achievable through the forum software? Also I am in Australia does this mean I will need to find an Australian hosting company? Also my understanding is that the latest version of v-bulletin is is testing mode is this correct? for example I purchase version 5 which comes with version 4 so do I just use version 4? Like I said I am completely new and in way over my head but am willing to learn as I want to build this online community!

Originally posted by Aussie_Lad View Post
    Hi there, I want to start an online community and think I will go with V-Bulletin for the forum software. However, I have no idea where to start.... I take it I register my domain name and then find a hosting company to host the domain name?
    Correct. A site like WebHostingTalk.com can recommend you a decent host for $8-12 a month just to get started. Avoid 1&1 and GoDaddy.
    Then how do I get V-Bulletin to work from there? Will I need to build up a whole website or this forum software will pretty much be the basis of my site (not sure if that makes any sense)
    You can just install the forum software and use that as your site. Later on, if it becomes really important, you could add a front page.
    I guess what im trying to say is for example bodybuilding.com uses V-Bulletin when I go to that address is all of that achievable through the forum software? Also I am in Australia does this mean I will need to find an Australian hosting company?
    Geography doesn't matter. You can host anywhere you want.
    Also my understanding is that the latest version of v-bulletin is is testing mode is this correct? for example I purchase version 5 which comes with version 4 so do I just use version 4? Like I said I am completely new and in way over my head but am willing to learn as I want to build this online community!
    vBulletin 5 (the current testing version) needs a TON of work to be usable. It's shocking they even considered rolling it out here at vBulletin.com.

vBulletin 4.2 is pretty stable and you gain access to it when you buy vBulletin 5.

Comment

Hi Feldon, thank you for your reply that has helped clear a few things up. I have registered a domain name now so just in search of a host, then I will purchase the software. Sounds like ill stick with 4.2 and give it time before using 5. Is the software relatively simple to use i.e do I need to know computer language lol?

Comment

Hi Feldon, thank you for your reply that has helped clear a few things up. I have registered a domain name now so just in search of a host, then I will purchase the software. Sounds like ill stick with 4.2 and give it time before using 5. Is the software relatively simple to use i.e do I need to know computer language lol?
        If you follow the installation instructions, you should be ok. Everything is managed with the Admin Control Panel. You don't need to know programming to set up forums, add usergroups, etc. And you can post your questions in the vB4 Support Forum and other users can answer your questions.

Comment

Also I am in Australia does this mean I will need to find an Australian hosting company?
          If your target traffic is Australian, then it is best if you find an Australian host (with servers in Australia, of course). It's not "a must", but your site should load faster for your target traffic. There are CDNs which will make your site load pretty much the same from anywhere in the world, but I don't think you'll be ready for something like that just yet, unless you're targeting a world "audicence" for your site and you're willing to pay extra cash for that type of service.

Comment

Hi Crow, as it stands I would like to target a global audience but dont want to spend heaps of money straight up until the forum is gathering momentum so im in a bit of tough situation... Is the price difference for CDN's a lot dearer? I noticed a lot of the Aussie hosts seem to be a fair bit dearer than the internationals hosts I take it this is just an economy to scale type situation...

Comment

I manage a number of sites that are aimed at both Australian and International audiences, and have found that the slightly slower site is OK compared to the greatly increased cost for aussie based hosting.

Comment

Hey oldlock thanks for the input what host are you using?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X