I am planning on setting up a vbulletin board--question about traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am planning on setting up a vbulletin board--question about traffic

I currently run a site for a group of 28 friends of mine, and we are using ikonboard. We want to upgrade to vbulletin and move the site to it's own domain (right now it's hosted on a friend's personal site). I was looking at hosting packages, and I wanted to make sure I chose one that would cover the amount of traffic we get.

My question is this: If my site has 28 active members who are pretty much constantly on the site (while at work), is 8 Gigs of transfer enough to handle it?

I just basically need to know how much traffic 8 Gigs can facilitate. I'm assuming 8 Gigs can handle so much more traffic than I get, but I just wanted to make sure before I signed up for a hosting deal.

Should cover it easily.

Our forums get over 20,000 new posts a month, with on average 60 people on them at any time (1,500 members registered). We used up about 9gb this month with gzip compression enabled.

Comment

What level gzip?

Comment

I can't speak for Lee but setting gzip to anything higher than level 1 does no good - it uses more server resources but does not provide any noticable benefit.

Comment

We're at level 1, as per vB suggestion.

Comment

Color me blonde, but what is a gzip?

Comment

Originally posted by karasto
              Color me blonde, but what is a gzip?
              It is an optional technology built into PHP that vBulletin utilizes to compress the HTML as it is sent to the end-user's browser. This lowers the required bandwidth by 30-60% on average and enables you to lower your total cost of ownership.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X