Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tags

Hey Guys,

So I am in the process of planning my next website redesign and I am hoping to add forums and blogs. I am wondering though, how integrated are the tags within the forums and blogs? When a blog writer posts and blog and adds tags to it, are these tags a part of the same database as the thread tags? What about photos and videos submitted by users? Can these be tagged as well?

The reason I ask is that I am hoping to deeply integrate the forums and blogs with my ecommerce site. I want to show relevant blog posts, forum posts, and user submitted photos/videos on all of my products pages. I think that with the use of tags, this can be done very easily.

Thanks for your answer, I look forward to your reply.

Here are the answers to your questions:

Q: I am wondering though, how integrated are the tags within the forums and blogs?

A : Tags are available within the initial Forum Topics and Blog Entries.

Q: When a blog writer posts and blog and adds tags to it, are these tags a part of the same database as the thread tags?

A: Yes, the tags are stored within the same database; the tags table

Q: What about photos and videos submitted by users?

A : Photos and videos can be described after an upload. In our prior version there is still an option to individually tag the picture within the first Blog Entry.
    In our current version, only the initial Blog Entries and Forum Topics can be tagged.
    Last edited by Zue Grande; Fri 1 Mar '13, 10:54am.

Comment

Originally posted by slackin-jer View Post
      Hey Guys, So I am in the process of planning my next website redesign and I am hoping to add forums and blogs. I am wondering though, how integrated are the tags within the forums and blogs? When a blog writer posts and blog and adds tags to it, are these tags a part of the same database as the thread tags?
      Do you mean if you click a tag in the blogs, say a tag called "Updates" do you want that to show threads that are also tagged with the word "Updates" as well?

Comment

Originally posted by OhioDave View Post
        Do you mean if you click a tag in the blogs, say a tag called "Updates" do you want that to show threads that are also tagged with the word "Updates" as well?
        Correct. I would like to also see pictures and videos that are tagged with 'Updates' as well.

The goal is to have tags relate to certain products in my shop. Say I carry a Macbook Air in my shop. I would like all blog posts, forums posts/topics, photos, and videos posted in the forums and CMS with the tag 'Macbook Air' (or similar, which will have to be a part of the plugin) to appear in different tabs on the product pages. I am thinking that if the tags for all of these entities are stored in the same place, then it could be possible to pull this data onto the product pages via some custom php module.

You think this is possible via a custom plugin?

Comment

In vBulletin 4.2.0, users can tag photos that they upload to their albums. So you would be able to search for the tags and pull them in a custom php module. Photos aren't searchable by default in 4.2.0 though.

In vBulletin 5.X, you can mark photo topics as featured and pull them using a custom Search Module to pull them. Photos are searchable based on their individual descriptions. You cannot however tag photos currently. There are two open JIRAs related to photo tagging for feature enhancement.

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4707 - Add tagging to individual photos
          http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4712 - Add User Tagging to photos.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            In vBulletin 4.2.0, users can tag photos that they upload to their albums. So you would be able to search for the tags and pull them in a custom php module. Photos aren't searchable by default in 4.2.0 though. In vBulletin 5.X, you can mark photo topics as featured and pull them using a custom Search Module to pull them. Photos are searchable based on their individual descriptions. You cannot however tag photos currently. There are two open JIRAs related to photo tagging for feature enhancement. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4707 - Add tagging to individual photos http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4712 - Add User Tagging to photos.
            Awesome! I think this is doable then! Thanks for the prompt response, I'm sold.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X