Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

InvisionFree to vBulletin 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • InvisionFree to vBulletin 4

    Hi,

    I'm wondering if it's possible to convert an InvisionFree board (which I believe runs on Invision Power Board v1.3 Final) to the latest stable version of vBulletin 4, or at least to one of the more recent versions.

    Is any info necessarily lost in the transition? And are there any additional steps you can recommend taking to help prevent data loss besides following the steps in the conversion tutorial?

    Insight from people who recently attempted a conversion from InvisionFree to vBulletin 4 would be particularly welcome, but I appreciate any advice.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Is it possible if you can get InvisionFree to give you the database and you can restore it to your server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      You'll need to buy a copy of your forum database from Invision. This can cost $100 or more.

      Comment


      • #4
        Does a database backup consist of files that are given to me and can be stored locally, such that I can use them in conversions as many times as I want (including in re-attempts in case of initial failure)? Or is it only handled by the host during conversion?

        The former would be preferred given the infinite attempts allowed and the high cost of obtaining a backup.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cSkins View Post
          Does a database backup consist of files that are given to me and can be stored locally, such that I can use them in conversions as many times as I want (including in re-attempts in case of initial failure)? Or is it only handled by the host during conversion?

          The former would be preferred given the infinite attempts allowed and the high cost of obtaining a backup.
          Most probably it will be a compressed file.(.sql.gz)
          Unzip it and you can use it as many times as you wish.


          vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
            You'll need to buy a copy of your forum database from Invision. This can cost $100 or more.
            No. IPS doesn't run InvisionFree, nor are they affiliated with the service in any way.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thought I read something earlier in the year when somebody asked about impexing an invisionfree board and somebody from the staff had said that it couldn't be done due to costs??
              I can be proven wrong again but I know I read it on here somewhere.

              https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...x+invisionfree

              have a look at reply 2
              Aussiefootyforums

              New Site New forum
              Come and talk sports all day long


              Comment


              • #8
                No, re-read that again...

                vBulletin can't be installed on the InvisionFree service. You need to find your own hosting and domain
                That's talking about installing vBulletin on Invision's hosting service, not using Impex. And furthermore, Shamil is not vBulletin staff... Please read carefully before you post...
                Vote for:

                - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                -
                *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                - "Quick Route" Interface...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by carntheroos4eva View Post
                  Thought I read something earlier in the year when somebody asked about impexing an invisionfree board and somebody from the staff had said that it couldn't be done due to costs??
                  I can be proven wrong again but I know I read it on here somewhere.

                  https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...x+invisionfree

                  have a look at reply 2
                  Shamil's comment in the other thread was applicable to a different situation. carntheroos4eva/schwab2clarkson, I think you've misunderstood what the OP of this thread is asking for -- a way to get a copy of their InvisionFree database and import it into vBulletin. A perfectly valid request muddled by the sale of InvisionFree forums to a third party.

                  Originally posted by Jay P View Post
                  No. IPS doesn't run InvisionFree, nor are they affiliated with the service in any way.
                  It looks like ZetaBoards acquired InvisionFree in 2009. From 2009 until recently, if you wanted a backup of your data, you were up a creek. Looks like this has been resolved and ZetaBoards lets you 'buy out' your InvisionFree database as a download:
                  http://www.invisionfree.com/conversion/

                  You can ignore the instructions to install IPB. Just restore that database dump you get from InvisionFree into an empty MySQL database, then install vBulletin and ImpEx, into a new database, then point ImpEx at your IF database. Presto! Passwords, Permissions, and Attachments are lost, but you keep the forums, threads, and posts.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                    It looks like ZetaBoards acquired InvisionFree in 2009. From 2009 until recently, if you wanted a backup of your data, you were up a creek. Looks like this has been resolved and ZetaBoards lets you 'buy out' your InvisionFree database as a download:
                    http://www.invisionfree.com/conversion/
                    InvisionFree has never been affiliated with IPS. It's an easy assumption to make, though erroneous.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jay P View Post
                      InvisionFree has never been affiliated with IPS. It's an easy assumption to make, though erroneous.
                      Enlighten me.

                      InvisionFree is a modified version of IPB1.3 as a hosted forum service. You could buy an upgrade to IPB from them. How were they not affiliated?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                        Enlighten me.

                        InvisionFree is a modified version of IPB1.3 as a hosted forum service. You could buy an upgrade to IPB from them. How were they not affiliated?
                        InvisionFree was never owned or managed by Invision Power Services. IBF 1.3 was available as a free (free to use, not free as in open source) product. The licensing change which made IPB a commercial script took place in version 2.0 (that's also when they changed the license to limit one live installation per purchase), that is why "Free IPB" services do not upgrade their boards to a more recent version.

                        InvisionFree is not affiliated with IPS any more than Zetaboards is. The fact you can buy your database and convert it does not make them a partner with IPS. If it did, vBulletin would be affiliated with IPB, wouldn't it?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for the help guys.

                          I've purchased the database but first my forum needs to go through a restoration, so I've purchased a restoration as well. The resulting sum is fairly hefty, but I went through with it because it's far from easy to re-create hundreds of thousands of posts and regain thousands of members. I'm hoping that they are able to restore everything and then convert it (the term they use for raw data-dumping).

                          Unfortunately it seems like they don't like providing completion estimates. So if any [post-]Invisionfree users happen to be reading this, it would be great to learn how long they typically take to process a restoration and/or raw dump.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            As the management has changed, and there was a nearly 2 year window where anyone asking for a backup was told to pound sand, any estimates may not be all that accurate. Good luck!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                              No, re-read that again...



                              That's talking about installing vBulletin on Invision's hosting service, not using Impex. And furthermore, Shamil is not vBulletin staff... Please read carefully before you post...
                              As I said I can be proven wrong.
                              That thread that I searched up was from the IMPEX section...
                              Aussiefootyforums

                              New Site New forum
                              Come and talk sports all day long


                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X