Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barbavery
    replied
    Thanks for replying to my issue. I need private forums for different levels of my organizations leadership and projects. I had found a terrific out of the box website I loved, but I cannot afford it right now so I have been looking to create it on my level of expertise ( like zero) The template is at Clubexpress.com. I also enjoy the sailnet forum using the vbulletin format.
    So the Weebly buffet of widgets for now-----
    I have been researching on my own-Weebly does not support your vbulletin (yet-I made the suggestion) and I need simple stupid intuitive tools (website building) to just get going for now.
    Thank you again, I will return once I have more skills-I will master this stuff! At 50 yrs old I just had to reinvent myself because my love of indoor plumbing and electricity so I need to stay focused on that and slowly learn all about websites and building them.
    High Five and have a great day!
    barb avery
    www.barbavery.com

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    Probably already has an email group for everyone.
    Very good point. Still goes to show that you need to have a usergroup somewhere. I run a script on one VB site to promote members to a special usergroup from a csv file (like a mailing list).

Leave a comment:

• markwein
    replied
    Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
    I too have private forums on my site, but I just use the permission system to keep them private. I have never seen the need for the password protected forums, and in fact look more vulnerable due to the possibility of password getting out. Am I missing something?
    Same here. I have my public forums, a set of private forums for the students in my music school to use and a set of subscription based forums that members need to pay to get into for a set time to get music lessons from. I control the access levels personally.

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    Yeah, but how's he going to give them all the password?
    Probably already has an email group for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Originally posted by whitey10tc View Post
    One general password for the specific forum.
    Then the user can request,apply, etc to get the password. In our forum the member needs to be a verified cellphone dealer and can be verified in a number of ways.
    Doesn't sound like any less work that putting them in a usergroup one by one. And when the password is breached you gotta do it all over again.

Leave a comment:

• whitey10tc
    replied
    One general password for the specific forum.
    Then the user can request,apply, etc to get the password. In our forum the member needs to be a verified cellphone dealer and can be verified in a number of ways.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    I agree usergroups are a better way to keep people out but I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to manually change 800 peoples usergroups after registration.
    Yeah, but how's he going to give them all the password?

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    I too have private forums on my site, but I just use the permission system to keep them private. I have never seen the need for the password protected forums, and in fact look more vulnerable due to the possibility of password getting out. Am I missing something?
    I agree usergroups are a better way to keep people out but I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to manually change 800 peoples usergroups after registration.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied

Leave a comment:

• whitey10tc
    replied
    Originally posted by barbavery View Post
    Thank you in advance for letting me ask questions here!
    I am not a web designer or very techie.
    "The story"
    I have 800 Avon reps in my personal Avon business. I also train and advise hundreds of others OUTside my personal business.

So my questions-
    1-I have set up a public site site on Weebly "Pro" and would like to add vbulletin for any public topics Avon reps need help with. Yes, they would need to register in order to participate. This would allow lots of topics and organization. I am on some forums that use vbulletin and think you have a great set up.

2-I need a password protected private website for just my reps- and a private Forum for THEIR needs

If Weebly does not cut it, what other drop and drag website builder would allow me to use/buy the vbulletin software for the forum? I want to build my business, not build websites, so simple stupid works for me.

Thanks- I appreciate your help/advice!
    Barb Avery
    www.barbavery.com
    I would first suggest a good host, VB is not a drag and drop software, but it is fairly easy to navigate.
    For a forum of your nature and requirements, I would suggest the following:
    Create one site/forum being a public access, then create a forum that password protected allowing access to only the users you want in.
    Structured like this
    Vbulletin
    >>>Forum A public
    >>>Forum B public
    >>>Forum C public
    >>>>>Forum D Private password protected.

The password protected forum works well, we use it on our forum for our cellphone dealers to discuss things that are not public.

Leave a comment:

• barbavery
    started a topic 2 Forums-1 private and 1 public

2 Forums-1 private and 1 public

Thank you in advance for letting me ask questions here!
    I am not a web designer or very techie.
    "The story"
    I have 800 Avon reps in my personal Avon business. I also train and advise hundreds of others OUTside my personal business.

So my questions-
    1-I have set up a public site site on Weebly "Pro" and would like to add vbulletin for any public topics Avon reps need help with. Yes, they would need to register in order to participate. This would allow lots of topics and organization. I am on some forums that use vbulletin and think you have a great set up.

2-I need a password protected private website for just my reps- and a private Forum for THEIR needs

If Weebly does not cut it, what other drop and drag website builder would allow me to use/buy the vbulletin software for the forum? I want to build my business, not build websites, so simple stupid works for me.

Thanks- I appreciate your help/advice!
    Barb Avery
    www.barbavery.com
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X