Oracle instead of MySQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle instead of MySQL

I know that vbulletin officially only supports MySQL at this time. But I cant find anywhere that says you absolutely cant use any other database. Has anyone attempted to tie it to an Oracle database? I ask because we are running Oracle 9i here and dont want to have to support 2 different databases if we dont have to.

There is no reason you couldn't use it with another database, with one caveat: you would have to rewrite most of vBulletin to use the other database's specific little quirks in the query language. In addition if it is to really take advantage of the other database you'd need to rewrite the queries for optimization in that DB, especially if you are using something like Oracle.

Comment

There are very few reasons you'd need to switch to Oracle.... MySQL when setup properly, can handle the stress just fine...

Really, if you want an Oracle solution, hire programmer and have your own forum made, in many cases, it will be cheaper than making vB work on Oracle......

Comment

Originally posted by The Prohacker
        There are very few reasons you'd need to switch to Oracle.... MySQL when setup properly, can handle the stress just fine...

Really, if you want an Oracle solution, hire programmer and have your own forum made, in many cases, it will be cheaper than making vB work on Oracle......
        Not strictly true. Making vB work on Oracle is not as hard as you may think. MattR from Fanhome.com made it work on Sybase, and he will probably be willing to offer a bit of advice on using Oracle with it as well. Or he might be willing to modify yours to work on Sybase instead, which is easier.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prohacker
          AS someone with personal Oracle programming experience, that isn't necessarily true. If I had access to an Oracle server right now, I could do a basic functional translation to Oracle in a few days of full time work. Have it nicely optimized and using less resources by utilizing stored procedures in a month of full time work. Creating a system with the same feature breadth and stability as vBulletin from scratch would take at least 6 months to a year of full time work to get to a public testing stage.

Using Oracle, the PHP code could be reduced significantly for vBulletin. And the precompiled stored procedures and triggers of Oracle could do all the manipulation work.

On a decent Oracle Server, I suspect that vBulletin and PHP could handle 10,000 concurrent users. Something I don't think you will see on MySQL for the next 5 - 10 years.
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sat 26th Jan '02, 6:52am.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Not strictly true. Making vB work on Oracle is not as hard as you may think. MattR from Fanhome.com made it work on Sybase, and he will probably be willing to offer a bit of advice on using Oracle with it as well. Or he might be willing to modify yours to work on Sybase instead, which is easier.
            So are there any plany to make vB 3 work on Sybase ?
            I think there is no reason against it, since Sybase is free and seems to be a even better database as mysql (from what I heard)
            http://www.first-board.de

Comment

Well a very old version of Sybase is free for use on Linux machines. A newer version is available for use in development environments on Linux. The newest version has the same licensing prices as Unix and Windows versions.

With that said, vBulletin's Developers are working with MattR to see what we can make available to the public so there is an alternative to MySQL.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Nice to hear !!
                I think even the older versions of Sybase shouldn't be underestimated.
                http://www.first-board.de

Comment

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/tech/...y/relnotes.htm
                  You're my Prince of Peace
                  And I will live my life for You

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X