Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My opinion as a UBB user on vbulletin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My opinion as a UBB user on vbulletin...

Hi guys, you all have a great feature rich product. All features that are unsupported hacks for Infopop's UBB are already standard features of vBulletin. Top it off, php/mySql backend, zlib compression support, dynamic display of setting changes. However, I have not read messages on bugs yet so ...

One that seems to prop up sometimes is when I view a particular forum and part of the html code shows up on top. Sometimes the lines for all the threads get darkened while forum hopping.

Since I have not hopped to vBulletin YET OR purchased a copy yet, the only hesitance I have is the load on the system for such a feature rich program.

For instance the search engine is good but I am willing to bet it's CPU intensive and disk read/write intensive. I have search capability turned off for my UBB. That script for UBB is a dog.

Then you got the various options like conversion of Time zone setting for each user. So such settings are dynamic but I am guessing the tradeoff is system load again?

I haven't looked into how much load on the system php-gzip compression feature places.

What are the main features on vBulletin that can be turned off to substantially decrease load on system (based on TOP command on Linux) and decrease load on hard disks?

There are lots of features that can be turned off (showing who's browsing a forum, who's online, search, memberlist, PMs, etc.) but I think you will find even with most if not all of the features turned on vBulletin will have a lower load avg than UBB. Uses lots less bandwidth too

Comment

Re: My opinion as a UBB user on vbulletin...

Originally posted by ubbuser
      For instance the search engine is good but I am willing to bet it's CPU intensive and disk read/write intensive. I have search capability turned off for my UBB. That script for UBB is a dog.
      We have over 10,000 searches a week and have not had a problem with the search engines speed, reliability or use of resources.

Then you got the various options like conversion of Time zone setting for each user. So such settings are dynamic but I am guessing the tradeoff is system load again?
      This doesn't add any load to the system. It uses information that is loaded when the rest of the user info is loaded (1 database query) and performs the math when the date is formatted for display anyway.
      I haven't looked into how much load on the system php-gzip compression feature places.
      When we added GZIP compression, average load on our server decreased.

What are the main features on vBulletin that can be turned off to substantially decrease load on system (based on TOP command on Linux) and decrease load on hard disks?
      You can disable things like the forum jumpbox, listing the online users on the forum home page and a few other items. However speaking from experience you should not experience load problems until you have 400-600 concurrent users and then only if your server isn't optimized.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Forumjump...

Hi thanks for the replies,

What's with this forumjump feature and system load? It seems to be a simple menu of links to other forums. Why is it so heavy on system resources? Every link makes queries thats why?

Also, I sort of do not understand this feature "depth of forums" As far as I know, Categories contain Forums. What'sup with depth of forums?

BTW is the demo forum hosted on the same server as this forum is being hosted on or different machine? I was looking at average system loads in the Admin CP there.

Bye.

Comment

Re: Forumjump...

Originally posted by ubbuser
          What's with this forumjump feature and system load? It seems to be a simple menu of links to other forums. Why is it so heavy on system resources? Every link makes queries thats why?
          Actually it is one query to get the forum information. However if you have a lot of forums (500 or more), there is a lot of looping to create the code for the jump box and it adds a lot of HTML to the page which either must be compressed using GZIP or downloaded uncompressed by the user. This increase in the download makes the user perceive that the server is overloaded and slow.

Also, I sort of do not understand this feature "depth of forums" As far as I know, Categories contain Forums. What'sup with depth of forums?
          You can set it up that way if you want. You can also have sub-forums and create complex discussion centers on your site if you want.

BTW is the demo forum hosted on the same server as this forum is being hosted on or different machine? I was looking at average system loads in the Admin CP there.
          The same servers, there are two. I know these servers host two live vBulletin's (this one and the one at vb-world.com) and I think maybe a third (vbulletin.org) plus the ticket system, 3 development installations of vBulletin and a few other things.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

They also host, IIRC, at least one other large forum unless that's changed.

Edit: And yes vb.org is on this server.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X