Upgrading to Suite questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to Suite questions

Hello there. We are currently running our site on 3.7.1. Here is a look at it....
    http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/index.php

We want to upgrade to the 4.x or the Suite in order to enable the mobile suite. I am new to the CMS style and am wondering what specific advantages the Suite (with the CMS) would have over the 4.x version. I am looking for more marketing-type techniques to get our products out to potential users.

Thanks for any responses.

The vB4 Publishing Suite includes the Blog, CMS and unlimited ticket support. The vB4 Forum product does not have the Blog, CMS and only comes with 30 days ticket support.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks. I mean I read the comparisons of the two on the features page, but wanted kind of a more lay-man's terms description of the new suite. I have been reading through the threads and have seen multiple examples of the new cms style. We have a retail site and the forums is an offshoot of that. Our goal is to drive traffic to and from both to drive sales up. Would we be able to merge the two sites under one domain name?

Comment

Originally posted by eric_cspan View Post
        Would we be able to merge the two sites under one domain name?
        Is there a reason you have your forums on a subdomain (forum.performanceyears.com) and then also in a /forums/ folder?

I'd keep it simple and have it like this:

Forum section - www.performanceyears.com/forums/

Store section - www.performanceyears.com/store/

Also if you do decide to upgrade to vB 4, MAKE SURE TO TEST IT FIRST, especially with the size of forum you have.

Comment

I'm not sure of the most important reason why it is set up like that, but I know that we do want to keep it separate because of the sheer size of the pages. Currently they are run under two different hosting systems.

Your question about testing it....might it not work under the new Publishing suite because of the size and space that each take up?

Comment

I'm not sure of the most important reason why it is set up like that, but I know that we do want to keep it separate because of the sheer size of the pages. Currently they are run under two different hosting systems.
            Interesting. Have you ever considered combining them and running a multiple server configuration?

BTW last I checked my full site consisted of over 20k files and that will be growing over the next month as we're adding more (non-forum) sections.
            Your question about testing it....might it not work under the new Publishing suite because of the size and space that each take up?
            No I'm saying that because you have a "big board" (1.8 million posts & 6.9k active users), be sure to fully test the upgrade on a test install before going live. I'd hate to see you jump in it, without fully testing it, and have something get majorly screwed up. Which in turn means you'll probably loose members/revenue.

Comment

I'm not the guy in charge of the hosting situation, but it would seem to me like that would be better to merge the two. Anyways...another thing. I am very new with CMS.
              1. It's basically like a RSS type of thing where all the most recent posts and blogs pop up on the front page? And it can be disabled?
              2. Is the feature able to connect to facebook and social media outlets?
              3. The stories/ blogs that come up at the home page...can we limit it to a certain amount of users to write articles, news, etc?

Comment

1. It's basically like a RSS type of thing where all the most recent posts and blogs pop up on the front page? And it can be disabled?
                You can pretty much have it show whatever you want it to, just takes a little time tweaking the settings. Yes the complete CMS system can be disabled with one click.
                2. Is the feature able to connect to facebook and social media outlets?
                Yes vB is integrated with Facebook.
                3. The stories/ blogs that come up at the home page...can we limit it to a certain amount of users to write articles, news, etc?
                Yes the CMS has separate permission settings (similar to the forum) which always you to set who can do/see what.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for your help! I'll probably be posting a few more questions by next week to before we upgrade

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X