Vb 3 upgrade when released?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vb 3 upgrade when released?

I'm seriously considering migrating my board to VB. I've got a question regarding the upcoming v3 release. I assume that if I go with a more or less standard setup, I can expect that I will be able to upgrade easily when v3 arrives.

I am trying to avoid doing major setup twice.

Also, is v3 still on for "end of Q1"?

Thanks
    Mark Cahill
    Reel-Time, the Internet Journal of Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Allthingscahill.com
    Splitcoaststampers.com

If you do not add hacks to your board, the upgrade will be as simple as running a PHP script that will make all the necessary changes to your system.

If you add hacks from vBulletin.org you will have to re-apply those hacks manually or using a tool such as Multi-Hack.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks

Appreciate the help. Since I have to figure out how to import my own stuff out of buzzpower 3.0/mssql, I want to be positive that I'm only doing it once.

Any chance I can make it look something like this:

[URL=http://www.reel-time.com/forum/user/non-frames/list.asp?forumid=3[/URL]

Thanks,

Mark
      Mark Cahill
      Reel-Time, the Internet Journal of Saltwater Fly Fishing
      Allthingscahill.com
      Splitcoaststampers.com

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
        If you do not add hacks to your board, the upgrade will be as simple as running a PHP script that will make all the necessary changes to your system.

If you add hacks from vBulletin.org you will have to re-apply those hacks manually or using a tool such as Multi-Hack.
        I've asked before about upgrading a hacked system, but what about the custom templates? My design, when I implement vB, will be heavily customised - I don't think there will be many templates that won't be completely changed. So, every time I upgrade I'm going to have to re-do them, or just add the "new" template modifications to my existing ones? ie just changing what's been updated.

Comment

When you upgrade, your templates will be kept safe and not touched. However you may have to review them against a list of changed templates and manually apply any changes needed.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

When you upgrade, your templates will be kept safe and not touched. However you may have to review them against a list of changed templates and manually apply any changes needed.
            That's exactly what I suspected. That's fine... I guess the main hassle is having to deal with the hacks. I'll be sure to look into that hack maintenance script.

Thanks!!

Comment

Not trying to discourage you from hacking, but...

Multi-Hack, while a good idea, comes short in one respect: if you make a change to a bit of code, the program keeps a record of it, however it cannot change that same bit of code in the future based on what it was before you hacked. So if you have two hacks that, for example, add fields on your register page, and need to use the 'create user' query to put that info in the database, you would have to manually hack the file and change the query to get it do what it is supposed to with both hacks installed.

Most of us use a program such as BeyondCompare ( http://www.scootersoftware.com/ ) or Araxis Merge ( http://www.araxis.com/merge/ ) to compare files when upgrading and make changes that way as opposed to using something like Multi-Hack which makes changes for you based on a file the author of the hack provides. In addition not many hack authors provide Multi-Hack files with their hacks.

Comment

Just wondering....are there any "pre-release demo"s of vB3?
                :)

Comment

A lot of it hasn't even been written yet, so no.

Comment

This is something concerning me somewhat. I plan on developing a web site soon and want to take advantage of VB's templating to have forums seemlessly added into the web site. The purposse is to make it almost look less like a standard forum so that it can be easier for people to use who are not familiar with forums. I plan on customizing the templates quite a bit for different forums/sections of the web site.

I'm trying to decide now if I should go ahead with development now and customize everything and upgrade to VB 3 later, or if I should wait for VB3 to be released.

It sounds like there shouldn't be too much trouble in using old templates, but I just wanted to make sure. Will I have to redo all my templates or just make small fixes if I would set everything up in VB 2 and upgrade later?
                    http://www.statgfx.com

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomguy01
                      This is something concerning me somewhat. I plan on developing a web site soon and want to take advantage of VB's templating to have forums seemlessly added into the web site. The purposse is to make it almost look less like a standard forum so that it can be easier for people to use who are not familiar with forums. I plan on customizing the templates quite a bit for different forums/sections of the web site.

I'm trying to decide now if I should go ahead with development now and customize everything and upgrade to VB 3 later, or if I should wait for VB3 to be released.

It sounds like there shouldn't be too much trouble in using old templates, but I just wanted to make sure. Will I have to redo all my templates or just make small fixes if I would set everything up in VB 2 and upgrade later?
                      I'm going through the exact same thing, only I"ve been waiting since earlier this year (thinking a beta would be in the spring).

I'm waiting, esp. knowing that the templates will all have to be re-done anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomguy01
                        With the vB3 system currently in development, you will have to redo all your templates.

This is because of three major reasons.

1. Templates are being consolidated so there will be fewer templates in the system and some templates will be reused more than now.

2. Templates contain conditionals now. So some of what would require PHP code or additional templates in the past will no longer do so.

3. Templates in vBulletin 3.0 will be language independant by the time the final release it made. This will enable you to use multiple languages on your forums without making multiple template sets for each one.

I know this comes at a cost with development processes and your time. However once you do convert to vBulletin 3.0, you will be able to enjoy the new control panel which will save you time in the long run because of its enhanced ease of use.

Please note this thread was originally started almost a year ago before the framework for vBulletin 3 was established so a lot of things have changed since then.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          With the vB3 system currently in development, you will have to redo all your templates.

This is because of three major reasons.

1. Templates are being consolidated so there will be fewer templates in the system and some templates will be reused more than now.

2. Templates contain conditionals now. So some of what would require PHP code or additional templates in the past will no longer do so.

3. Templates in vBulletin 3.0 will be language independant by the time the final release it made. This will enable you to use multiple languages on your forums without making multiple template sets for each one.

I know this comes at a cost with development processes and your time. However once you do convert to vBulletin 3.0, you will be able to enjoy the new control panel which will save you time in the long run because of its enhanced ease of use.
                          Thanks for the explanation. I think what I might do is put off incorporating the forums, and spend time developing other areas of the site in anticipation of VB 3's release.

So, exactly what date will it be released??
                          j/k

Please note this thread was originally started almost a year ago before the framework for vBulletin 3 was established so a lot of things have changed since then.
                          Yeah, that's why I bumped this, to see if there was any change since then as VB 3 has been under development since that time. Plus, I'm very big on the search function.
                          http://www.statgfx.com

Comment

Where can you get this Multi Hack and how do you use it?

Comment

All hacks are at vbulletin.org. Ask there.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X