Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Application

Please help me understand.

If I purchase the add-on for mobile CMS does the application come with it that I may then custom brand and make available on Google Apps and iPhone, etc? What is the actual process? I mean, I don't want to sell access to my site and I don't want my users to have to buy an application. Is vBulletin actually going to sell my custom branded app after charging me for it?

I am ready to order everything right now.

My questions must not have been clear. No bump intended:

I very much want to use CMS. Really. But I don't quite know the questions to ask and I end up with replies that really aren't helpful. Unitentionally but its making the decision for me harder. Here is what I need and perhaps someone can tell me that 1) CMS can do it and 2) how it gets odne (extension, module, etc.)

1. Subscription service with protected content (pages) based on payment.
    2. Free iPhone/Android/Other application.
    3. Full integration with vBulletin 3.8 or 4.0.
    4. Google AdSense integration.
    5. Easily insert custom PHP code into a web page for a feature, like an interactive Google map.

I truly hope you can help. I am ready to buy whatever I need to buy. But I need help. Yahoo Groups make it far too easy for forums to fail and I need to make them work for me.

Comment

1.) The built in subscription system will automatically change a user's usergroup based on payment. You can set forum permissions to allow only certain usergroups to see certain forums. So yes that is easy and basically everyone who has paid subscriptions does this.

2.) The application is free to your users (they will not be charged) but YOU have to pay for it. The pricing is listed in vbulletin.com but I believe it's $200 to start and $100 a year after that. You also need to pay Apple to list your app and I think Google as well, but they cost a lot less then Apple. You need an Apple computer (or know someone with an apple computer) to compile the iPhone app for you.

3) The mobile app will work with 3.8 or 4.x. 4.x also has a new free mobile style that is very good and you may not even need to purchase a mobile app- however it is still limited in what you can see via the mobile style. In time I'm sure the mobile style will allow virtually the same access as a normal vbulletin style. For VB 3.8 there are some excellent free mobile styles available on vBulletin.org but they are not maintained by vBulletin themselves.

4) Both 3.8 and 4.x have "Ad Location Templates" where it's extremely easy to paste in your google ad code and have ads show up in various locations on your forum. I believe there is even built in integration if you link your google and vbulletin accounts but honestly most people here prefer not to link the accounts since the ad location templates are so easy to use.

5) vBulletin (all versions) have an extensive template and php hook system allowing for thousands of free modifications to be released at vBulletin.org (the modification site.) You wold be able to add just about anything you can think of once you learn how to program for vBulletin. Extensive help and articles on how to get started are all available on vBulletin.org.

Comment

I have used vBulletin since version 2! I m comfortable with it, although not heavily modifying it or stylevars and stuff. Your answer was very complete and I sincerely thank you. Key to my site is the ability to add interactive google maps, refreshing portions of pages with AJAX, which I just plain don't understand how it works.The downside is that I own Artisteer and it creates awesome designs that vBulletin cannot do. I haven't been able to find any sharp, snappy CMS styles for vB. I don't own an Apple, so compiling the iPhone app will be problematic. In fact, I thiunk a service of vB should be to compile (for a fee.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ricci View Post
          I thiunk a service of vB should be to compile (for a fee.)
          They do compile the app the problem is you have to sign it with your cert from your developer account and submit it to apple via your developer account both of which require a Mac..
          ------------------------------------------
          Steve
          DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
          CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
          TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
          Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

I hear you and thanks! But I think that there needs to be another way. I mean, one cannot be expected to go out and buy a Mac just to sign a certificate. I have an Android and there is already a Google App for vBulletin and is free. Of course we'd want our own branded one. I am working towards a solution and wonder what that might be...

Comment

They were originally going to release it where they compile it and submit it for you but Apple said no....
              ------------------------------------------
              Steve
              DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
              CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
              TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
              Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

That bites because I don't know anyone with a Mac and it seems like a waste if I cannot compile for Mac. I own the web hosting comapny using vB and wonder if there is an emulator I can load on a Linux box to compile the app.

Comment

I apologize for using the word "compile" initially, That was incorrect, You do get it compiled from vBulletin. However yo are still required to have a Mac to submit the app to Apple. So basically 1 less step but still requires a mac.

Comment

I am trying the android app and I like it. Need to see custom content.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X