Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in purchasing

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing vBulletin to replace my phpBB forum at 4x4world.org.

What I wanted to find out is whether or not vB is able to completely replace the forum on my site, to replace the gallery (which is currently fubar - thanks to some hackers) and to impliment a few more changes.. And can the vB Suite also replace the entire html website?

Is it possible to put a menu system in to the software similar to what I have as an include at the top of my website now, or is the menu on the vB software completely customisable as well?
    The biggest question would be though whether or not vB software would be able to work in conjunction with my search engine software as it currently stands (until I have the money to pay for the search engine to be rebuilt I've got to put up with it as it is).

Ideally, I'm after something that can be the backbone of the site and have the search engine running alongside of it...

I've never used vB before, I don't even remember ever having a login on a vB forum as most sites I've been to had phpBB.

Also, can my entire phpBB forum be transferred/ported across to vB?

Yep, these are probably simple questions but hey, I'm trying to learn more as I go along and would appreciate any help or any tips that can be provided.

Oh yeah, is there a version of vB that I can install on my servers to make sure it all works and to have a play with to see if it will fulfill my needs before outlaying $285?? Because it's a shedload of money to outlay on something you can't try out first.

I look forward to hearing anything that could be good.

Cheers,
    Simon

Hi guys,

I thought that I might have got some sort of answers or feedback by now..

Well, another question is whether or not the advertising spots within the vBulletin fomat will accept code from Adpeeps software? (As I've already purchased this software and use it now)

Comment

vBulletin doesn't have a gallery as such however there are modifications available to add one to the software. You will be able to transfer the following from phpBB to vBUlletin though:

* Import usergroup
      * Import user
      * Import forum
      * Import thread
      * Import smilie
      * Import post
      * Import Private messages
      * Import attachment
      * Import moderator

Taking a quick look at your current site, you could transfer your site into the Publishing Suite however you would need to do this 'manually'. vBulletin is fully customizable. You get full access to the HTML and CSS code. You can customize 100% of the look and feel as well as the functionality in the system so that it fits your needs and is completely integrated into your site.

You can read about our styling and customization tools in our online documentation at:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/styles_and_templates

We also have an aftermarket customization community setup at http://www.vbulletin.org. There you can find hundreds of free style packs as well as free addon products and plugins that can enhance the functionality of vBulletin installation.

As for your search engine, not knowing how it works or what you're using, it's hard to give any indication however it looks like a separate piece of software which you could certainly link to from the navbar and have restyled to look like it's part of the site still.

On the advertising front, we should be able to support that - you simply paste the code they give you into an Ad location within the Admin system and it will display at that location.

We have a live demo of vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite, including full access to the admin control panel. You can set one up for your own use from this page (The demo is active for 24 hours. If you feel you need more time, send an email to [email protected] with the DemoID and ask for an extension.):

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php
      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
      - "Quick Route" Interface...
      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Thanks very much for your very indepth answer..

I actually managed to find the vB demo and I've been playing in it.. I did notice the gallery in that, how useable is that gallery, ie can it be used for instance for users to upload pictures of their vehicles and their travels etc? Unfortunately my previous gallery died due to hackers and the hosts backups only went back a week or two and it wasn't brought to my attention for about 3 weeks due to my being out in the desert and working.. really sucked that, had a lot of good pics and stuff in there.
        Basically though, all I need is somewhere for users to upload pics and have them accessible to the world... and if it's linked directly to user accounts in the forum/blogging software etc then that's even better for me as I don't have to maintain a userbase seperately either. Because that was something I was trying to fix before.

So that thing that is in the demo, is that a normal part of the software or would I need to get something else?

And is it possible to get someone to help me to get it all set up and running? I'm not really a coding type person and sometimes (though I can on occasions make web pages and stuff I'm not all that great on some other stuff like set ups of forums etc.. but if I can get something up and running so it looks like the vB demo then I can work on it from there and add information etc of course trying to import stuff from phpBB would be something that I would probably need help with.. as I just feel dumb when it comes to working that out, hahaha) So if you could perhaps point me in the right direction, or is there a step by step guide to setting it all up?

I've checked with my host and their platform is all ok to run vB, I asked them if it met the requirements and they said everything was over recommended requirements.

Damn I've made that look complicated.. I guess a long night and a few beers will do that

Comment

Yes, you can use the User Albums to upload any image you like! Users can create individual albums per 'theme' to group their pictures better in there. The Albums are down to get a UI/UX update during the vB4 series also. What you see in the demo is the basic installation of the software and functionality - what you see there is what you'll get by default after installation (although a few features such as the plugin system have been disabled in the demo for security reasons).

The installation is fairly simple - rename and edit your config file, upload all files and run the install script - other than ask for your forum name, admin account details and email address, it will do it all for you.

Regarding importing, we have our online manual here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/go/howto_impex

While we won't do the import for you, if you have any difficulties with it we can certainly help/point you in the right direction.

On the hosting side, vBulletin requires PHP (minimum version 5.2) and MySQL (minimum 4.1.0) installed. As long as your host meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
          - "Quick Route" Interface...
          - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a couple of days for work.

Thanks very much for your very detailed information so far. It's great to know that there are people who know everything for when I screw up
            If all goes well and I get paid a reasonable amount of money I'll be buying vB Suite and trying to set it up, so stand by, I'm sure I'll be back for help

Cheers for all your help so far.

Simon

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X