Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Then post #15 is still applicable.

Leave a comment:

• Dirt Bike Addict
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    You already have the vBulletin in the line above.
    No that's a sceenshot from here, I'm only showing what I underlined in red.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You already have the vBulletin in the line above.

Leave a comment:

• Dirt Bike Addict
    replied
    I currently only have the below underlined text showing on my site, so if I add another "vBulletin," in front of it I'll be "legal"?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vB_Copyright.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	3682298

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You do not have to retain the link.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirt Bike Addict View Post
    Does the vBulletin have to be an URL?
    I don't think so. It wasn't before 4.0 came out, I'm sure it has been confirmed that the link can be removed.

Leave a comment:

• Dirt Bike Addict
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    At a minimum, you need:

vBulletin, Copyright © 2011 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Does the vBulletin have to be an URL to http://www.vbulletin.com/?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    At a minimum, you need:

vBulletin, Copyright © 2011 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

Leave a comment:

• Dirt Bike Addict
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    I think you do need the word "vBulletin" at the start, as the product name.
    Where? In front of the above text?

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirt Bike Addict View Post
    The "shortened" version is
    Code:
    Copyright © 2011 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
    You do not need the "Powered by..." text.
    I think you do need the word "vBulletin" at the start, as the product name.

Leave a comment:

• Dirt Bike Addict
    replied
    Originally posted by whydou View Post
    Very interested as to what this shortened version is. If only the "Powered by" is acceptable then that's reasonable.
    The "shortened" version is
    Code:
    Copyright © 2011 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
    You do not need the "Powered by..." text.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by whydou View Post
    You are right. Simply having "Powered by" would cause much less concern than having a copyright notice. Besides, if the code itself is copyright then the copyright should be in the code and should not be at the footer as if that same copyright also encompasses the content on the site.

Very interested as to what this shortened version is. If only the "Powered by" is acceptable then that's reasonable.

Thanks all
    No in both the cases I have referred to, the text I have quoted is just the start....both cases would still have the copyright line. That is required legally.

I think the shortened version used be "vBulletin, © 2011 Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd". That *used* to be the minimum acceptable under the license, I don't know if that's changed but you do still see sites with just that. (Obviously vB4 onwards says "vBulletin Solutions" rather than "Jelsoft Enterprises").

Leave a comment:

• whydou
    replied
    I said "snapped at", not attacked.

Originally posted by CvP View Post
    You misunderstood. Powered by means the forum is running vbulletin. and the copyright next to it refers to the FORUM SOFTWARE not your forum.
    The copyright of YOUR FORUM belongs to you and you are free to add "all rights reserved copyright whydou" at the bottom (thru admincp > options > copyright text)
    Thanks for the clear response.

I do agree that potentially it's never been worded well and to someone unfamiliar viewing the unmodified footer they MIGHT think that the copyright refers to the entire site. But for some reason it's always been the accepted norm to do it this way, and I don't profess to have a better suggestion.

Perhaps it should say "Software Powered by vBulletin...." or something.
    You are right. Simply having "Powered by" would cause much less concern than having a copyright notice. Besides, if the code itself is copyright then the copyright should be in the code and should not be at the footer as if that same copyright also encompasses the content on the site.

There also used to be a "shortened" version of the copyright text which the team said was acceptable as a minimum. Can't remember what it was but I think it also removed the version number and put the whole thing on one line. From memory it also didn't have the word "Powered by" at the start. Perhaps the team could confirm this is still ok for people to do.

Thanks all

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by CvP View Post
    I edit the template to make the powered by and copyright vbulletin appear in a SINGLE line which helps to remove any such confusion.
    That's a good idea.

There also used to be a "shortened" version of the copyright text which the team said was acceptable as a minimum. Can't remember what it was but I think it also removed the version number and put the whole thing on one line. From memory it also didn't have the word "Powered by" at the start. Perhaps the team could confirm this is still ok for people to do.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X