Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional Fields required in Forum Posts. (what customisation level is possible ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Fields required in Forum Posts. (what customisation level is possible ?)

I am looking to purchase this forum software and can see that there is customisation possible, but to what extent could I add a few more new fields within the posts. (or the first entry of a new post). I want to use the software in business to progress specific activity/tasks and would like to record some of the nformation related to the task in the header of the post to help with the structure. Would probably need to add no more than 4 or 5 additional fields. I have basic programming skills, php, css etc. How easy would this be to do, I dont want to get into a lot of coding to achieve this. Thanks

It isn't hard, but it also isn't easy. I think (not 100% positive) there may be a modification over on vbulletin.org, the modification site, that will help you add fields to your New Thread template. You may want to see if that is there. You may need to modify it a bit depending on what you want to do with those new fields.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by shutty View Post
      I am looking to purchase this forum software and can see that there is customisation possible, but to what extent could I add a few more new fields within the posts. (or the first entry of a new post). I want to use the software in business to progress specific activity/tasks and would like to record some of the nformation related to the task in the header of the post to help with the structure. Would probably need to add no more than 4 or 5 additional fields. I have basic programming skills, php, css etc. How easy would this be to do, I dont want to get into a lot of coding to achieve this. Thanks
      Check out Extra Thread Fields product (commercial) at provb.com. I used the 3.8x version and it's great. Very flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
        It isn't hard, but it also isn't easy. I think (not 100% positive) there may be a modification over on vbulletin.org, the modification site, that will help you add fields to your New Thread template. You may want to see if that is there. You may need to modify it a bit depending on what you want to do with those new fields.
        Thanks I will have a look, I dont actually want to do much if anthing with the fields. I just want them populated consistently so that it provides information about the post in a structured way. so for example. if I have a forum about application problems I would want to include a fields like Application name. Application owner. Problem type. etc. I dont want to rely on the user to just enter this free format. I want to create some structure around the discussion threads. make sense ? thanks

Comment

yes that looks like it hits the mark perfectly. thanks for the pointer. cheers

Comment

There is also a mod called something like the "Stencil Hack" and it just puts some predifined text into the post for you. That one is real easy to install. (It's in one of the 3.x forums, but it works in 4.x also.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Arkham View Post
              Check out Extra Thread Fields product (commercial) at provb.com. I used the 3.8x version and it's great. Very flexible.
              Thanks, That looks like what i was looking for.
              Dan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X