Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about Web Hosts with "Free" vBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Web Hosts with "Free" vBulletin?

Hello,

I have been participating in a DB that uses vBulletin and I like its look and feel.

The cost is a bit much, though. I see a few Web Hosts that offer "Free vBulletin". However, they seem to offer relatively low disk space and bandwidth, and then want up to $20/mo.

Are they using an old version of the software or just spinning off sub-boards with limited functionality available to them through a site license?

I know nothing about this kind of thing, so at this point just curious!

Dave

I am not aware of any legitimate hosts that do this (other than URLJet) and I would be very concerned that such offers are not legitimate and the vB license is non-existent.

If you decide to take that risk, then at least insist on receiving a vB license number first. You can always contact us at [email protected] to see of the license number is valid.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve,

The name that pops up first is GlowHost, and I believe this is also true at a site that answers to ********** (so likely not ix Web Hosting).

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      I am not aware of any legitimate hosts that do this (other than URLJet) and I would be very concerned that such offers are not legitimate and the vB license is non-existent.

If you decide to take that risk, then at least insist on receiving a vB license number first. You can always contact us at [email protected] to see of the license number is valid.

Comment

Since the URL in that link is censored, ot was associated with some spam like activity on our forums. Again I would insist on a license number.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

You still have to purchase a vb license with urljet, they specialize in vbulletin hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by traen View Post
            You still have to purchase a vb license with urljet, they specialize in vbulletin hosting.
            The only way to get a 100% legit license is to purchase it directly from us, anywhere else offers a moderately large risk.

Comment

Well that's what I mean, they don't offer free vbulletin with the hosting service. You still have to purchase the software.

Comment

Originally posted by DCHindley View Post
                Thanks Steve,

The name that pops up first is GlowHost
                GlowHost offers it with a 12 month hosting agreement on some hosting plans. The license is purchased in the customer's name and they get the license details after signup. They also maintain the login details so that they can receive vBulletin support.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

My fear is that the service offers too little memory and bandwidth for the money. I understand URLJet also has such a plan where they buy the license in your name and lease it to you, at about the same price, with much more disk space and bandwidth. I think they still want to be paid up front for a year (which I understand).

I am torn between buying a copy @ $295 and installing it myself (I am a newbie and no programmer) or leasing a copy. If you leave such a company, do you get to keep your license (perhaps paying for the unearned portion of the host's upfront purchase cost)?

Dave

Originally posted by myusername View Post
                  GlowHost offers it with a 12 month hosting agreement on some hosting plans. The license is purchased in the customer's name and they get the license details after signup. They also maintain the login details so that they can receive vBulletin support.

Comment

Again, best bet is always to buy directly from us. You assume all risk purchasing from a third party.

Comment

Originally posted by DCHindley View Post
                      Thanks for the reply.

My fear is that the service offers too little memory and bandwidth for the money. I understand URLJet also has such a plan where they buy the license in your name and lease it to you, at about the same price, with much more disk space and bandwidth. I think they still want to be paid up front for a year (which I understand).

I am torn between buying a copy @ $295 and installing it myself (I am a newbie and no programmer) or leasing a copy. If you leave such a company, do you get to keep your license (perhaps paying for the unearned portion of the host's upfront purchase cost)?

Dave
                      AFAIK leasing the license is against the license agreement in vBulletin. At least that was what I was told when I asked if we could do that. So if that is what they are doing then you already have some concerns to think about.

That is why GlowHost decided just to make the customers buy a year of hosting, to cover the fees of buying a new vBulletin license. Yes, if you leave GlowHost the license is yours because as I mentioned, the support logins to vBulletin are only known by you and not the company. Not sure how urljet does this though. If they are leasing it would sound to me like they keep the license.

I am not sure what you mean by too little memory. Do you mean too little diskspace?

Do you really need more than 1 gig for a forum script? of 500 megs for that matter? That's MORE than enough for most forum owners.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X