Few Migration Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few Migration Questions

I'm wanting to purchase a license and get my forum moved this week, but had a couple questions first:

1. Migrating from SMF RC4 with the patch installed for RC5, but the current version still is RC4.
    Will the patch cause any problems converting over?

2. My forum have been up for a little over a year now on SMF software. After I make the change will my site be blocked by search engines due to all the dead links? All the old links it has indexed will now be no good since vBulletin uses a different link structure.
    Last edited by Gallitin; Tue 8th Mar '11, 11:38am.

Originally posted by Gallitin View Post
    I'm wanting to purchase a license and get my forum moved this week, but had a couple questions first:

1. Migrating from SMF RC4 with the patch installed for RC5, but the current version still is RC4.
    Will the patch cause any problems converting over?

2. My forum have been up for a little over a year now on SMF software. After I make the change will my site be blocked by search engines due to all the dead links? All the old links it has indexed will now be no good since vBulletin uses a different link structure.
    The patch should have no bear in the conversion as it simply patches some bugs and security issue and it does not alter the db structure.

About the search engines, I do not believe that they will block your newly converted forum.

Comment

Well I guess what I meant is that all the old indexed links will now be incorrect or bad links to my site. So I could just wait for everything to be re-indexed, but during this time if Google finds enough of your links are incorrect or bad then I thought you would get sandboxed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallitin View Post
        Well I guess what I meant is that all the old indexed links will now be incorrect or bad links to my site. So I could just wait for everything to be re-indexed, but during this time if Google finds enough of your links are incorrect or bad then I thought you would get sandboxed.
        I also would like to migrate DragonflyCMS to vBulletin and I have the same question/concern. What is the recommended strategy to address all of the currently Indexed pages? I don't want users to receive 404 errors when they come to my website from a link pointing to the old (DragonflyCMS) pages...

Comment