Some Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions

So I'm considering purchasing vBulletin for a website I'm helping to develop, but I have some questions.

Basically, my need is to have something that can easily integrate Facebook and YouTube, have a Message Board, as well as easily allowing users with correct permissions to edit the front page, and add news articles, etc. The publishing suite seems fantastic for this, but I have a couple questions.

1. Does vBulletin allow for integration of static web pages. For instance, can I create a static, read-only web page, but still have the header, and the users logged in, etc?

2. Is it possible to easily shut down features such as Social Groups and Albums?

3. I'm not sure what the hosting details are (I'm getting those work out) but approximately how big is the download?

4. Does it come with a package that installs all the necessary components (PHP, MySQL, etc), or will I have to go searching for compatible versions of PHP and MySQL?

5. When it comes to editing themes, is there a GUI that allows for simple color changes and image changes, or does everything have to be manually typed out? If so, I'm assuming that it would be in CSS?

Thanks.
    Last edited by COGlory; Wed 23rd Feb '11, 6:46am.

1. Yes, you can create static pages via the CMS itself (not articles) or create your own with a little bit of coding

2. You can disable the ability for individual usergroups to see Groups and Albums but not globally

3. Unzipped, my copy shows as 26Mb on my local HD

4. No, vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 5.2) and MySQL (minimum 4.1.0) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

Most credible hosts now support both PHP and MySQL, and can run our software. We do not make official recommendations, but we do have a hosting review forum here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

You can also look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com, an independent review site. Sometimes you will find hosting specials there that aren't available elsewhere on the web.

5. There is a StyleVar system that allows you to change certain aspects of the style or you can edit/create your own CSS by editing the CSS templates diretly in the Style Manager.

We have a live demo of vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite, including full access to the admin control panel. You can set one up for your own use from this page (The demo is active for 24 hours. If you feel you need more time, send a ticket to [email protected] with the DemoID and ask for an extension.):

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Thank you for the very detailed answer! I was unaware that there was a demo. This seems like a very viable solution, and it's great that I can try it out and take a look around!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X