Questions about Custom Profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Custom Profiles

1. I know you can add Custom profile fields? But can you take other STANDARD fields out.

• Example Instant messaging, ICQ, etc. Can you do this without hacking or modding (concerned about future upgrade problems)?

2. How well does the advanced Member search work on multiple custom profile fields.

3. Is their a real good detailed list of profile features available for the latest version of vbulletin.

4. I believe you can do categories nested with custom fields inside the category. Is this true or possible? Is their a limit to how many categories you can do?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Dan

You can disable im fields from showing, without an issue.
    IIRC its just a basic matching query, if someone puts in Apple, and someone searches for apple, it should return.
    If you do not see anything listed on the features page about profiles, its unlikely. Profiles aside from basic customizations, and visitor messages, users wont interact with them much.
    I do not understand number 4, sorry :/

Comment

continued

WOW! Zachery I just realized you ARE one of the pro's. You have over 46000 posts and are part of the support staff! Again, no offense to you. Please try again, it would be appreciated. :-) I am not trying to be sarcastic or starting off on the wrong foot on this forum. I just really need some detailed answers. Thank you

Thanks for trying Zachery

I figured most of this on my own. I have been using the vbulletin demo.

1. I guess this involves hacking or modding. I really need some more input on this.

2. Advanced Member search seems to do a good job on searching multiple (custom profile)fields.

3. Never found a list Does anyone know if one exists?

4. There are categories and even a way to do new tabs (CUSTOM profiles). I am still trying to figure this out. Any additional input would be appreciated.

I really have to say this!
      Why haven't I got a response from one of the pro's at Vbulletin? This is the PRESALES FORUM. No offense Zack. A decent response would be appreciated.

I asked another question in this forum and had another very short answer. That individual told me to go to the .org site.

I am sincerely interested in this product and am starting to get a little concerned from the 2 responses I have received so far. I mean you would sincerely think that Vbulletin would have a couple of their pros covering this forum with quick and detailed response.

Originally posted by Danno61 View Post
      1. I know you can add Custom profile fields? But can you take other STANDARD fields out.

• Example Instant messaging, ICQ, etc. Can you do this without hacking or modding (concerned about future upgrade problems)?

2. How well does the advanced Member search work on multiple custom profile fields.

3. Is their a real good detailed list of profile features available for the latest version of vbulletin.

4. I believe you can do categories nested with custom fields inside the category. Is this true or possible? Is their a limit to how many categories you can do?
      Last edited by Danno61; Wed 23rd Feb '11, 4:35am. Reason: To add 1st paragraph in this reply.

Comment

Continue

I just spoke directly to vbulletin on the phone.

And this is what I have to say. I am not a rookie. I used another board for years (it was a paid license, like this one).

I left this board out of frustration of upgrades. Why? because of the obvious. I am not a developer, I am more of a designer. I do not have hours and days trying to find code, hacks, mods, and you know the story.

I am very frustrated to see that after all these years the developers of ALL platforms (not just picking on vbulletin) still do not look at the most important individual on the internet. Which is not me or the developer, it is the END USER. If it wasn't for that group, we would all be in nowhere land.

You would think that at least one of these platforms would slow down just a little and do the following.

1. Create a group of plugin developers that have to follow a standard of compliance. Why, so when an upgrade is done everyone is in line and compliant!

2. Have a team that thinks outside the developers box that is on staff and gives input on features of what is really needed.

Example: User profiles have a multiple pile of junk available that most end users never use (I Don't even know what ICQ means). If anything it gives a spammer an open opportunity to find newest members, blah, blah, blah on a board.

Again I am talking about the standard fields on "advanced member search", "user profile", and on registration.

I will say this, I have been searching for months and Vbulletin seems to be one of the cleanest boards on the net. Very IMPRESSIVE. I am just frustrated to see that as a designer. There is nothing on the market that has a great system that allows a DESIGNER to do his job with ease and simplicity while reaching his (very important audience) the END USER.

It is really quite simple.

1. ON/OFF switches for everything.

2. A group of developers with synchronized plugins that have been tested and work when upgrades are done. Everyone and EVERYTHING working together with the end user and designer as the priority.

3. Video/audio commenting - Where is video commenting? Hello developers... Every laptop sold now comes with speakers and a cam.

I am now probably off topic for this particular forum, but please print this and show it to your development team on your next round table.

Thank you and continuing my journey on the web.
        Last edited by Danno61; Wed 23rd Feb '11, 10:40am. Reason: added more text

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X