Move to 4.x - suggestions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move to 4.x - suggestions needed

It's time I make the change from 3.8.6 to 4.x. I'm seeking recommendations on how to do it.

The site in question: www.skywarnonline.com

Right now it has vB, vBadvanced CMPS, vbA Links, vB Blog, vB Projects and an Arcade.

What's going to go away:
    Blog, Projects and the Arcade

Our vBa Links is somewhat popular so I'd like for that to stay.

We have a decent amount of content on our site. The question is do I stick with vBa's CMPS or rewrite everything with vB's CMS?

Finally, what's the best way of setting all this up? Create a test domain, move the database over, build the site up, then go live?

Thanks in advanced for all the suggestions.

Chimpie
    CHIMPIE | SKYWARN | EMTLIFE

Originally posted by Chimpie View Post
    It's time I make the change from 3.8.6 to 4.x. I'm seeking recommendations on how to do it.

The site in question: www.skywarnonline.com

Right now it has vB, vBadvanced CMPS, vbA Links, vB Blog, vB Projects and an Arcade.

What's going to go away:
    Blog, Projects and the Arcade

Our vBa Links is somewhat popular so I'd like for that to stay.

We have a decent amount of content on our site. The question is do I stick with vBa's CMPS or rewrite everything with vB's CMS?

Finally, what's the best way of setting all this up? Create a test domain, move the database over, build the site up, then go live?

Thanks in advanced for all the suggestions.

Chimpie
    vBa links and vBa CMPS are both avialable for vB4 so, rather than make too many changes at once, my suggestion would be to stick with these to start with. You can always change to the vBCMS later. It is due to have some improvements soon so you could look at it after then.

I did my 3.8 > 4.0 upgrade by setting up a complete mirror of my live site (with a database snapshot), then upgraded it and worked on everything. Took me two months but I have many modifications. then, when I was happy, I closed my site, copied the files over to live, ran the upgrade script, then exported the styles from the test site and imported them to live. Then I exported the products and phrases from test and copied them to live too.

With some tweaking I was there.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.0 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      I did my 3.8 > 4.0 upgrade by setting up a complete mirror of my live site (with a database snapshot), then upgraded it and worked on everything. Took me two months but I have many modifications. then, when I was happy, I closed my site, copied the files over to live, ran the upgrade script, then exported the styles from the test site and imported them to live. Then I exported the products and phrases from test and copied them to live too.
      Did you copy all the files and database to your mirror site, or did you do a fresh install with a copy of the database?

Comment

Originally posted by Chimpie View Post
        Did you copy all the files and database to your mirror site, or did you do a fresh install with a copy of the database?
        Myself, I copied all the files. I just wanted to start from a position of having a mirror 3.8 site actually *working* so I could, as closely as possible, mirror what would be happening in the live upgrade.

Naturally you have to amend some stuff....eg config.php and the URL options in the vBulletin options section of the admincp. Otherwise, it will muck about with your live site.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.0 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X